Chapter 45

Family isn't always blood. It's the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what.

That saying will ring through my ears until the day I die. I just hope it won't be the last time I hear it from Amelia. This is it, do we go left or right?

We all took a seat in the benches, and the jury took their places back in the stand. My jaw was clenched, and my hand held on tightly to Ashlyn's. Amelia didn't look any less nervous that I did. Her breathing became heavy, and she kept rubbing her hands together. Across from us, dad stood frozen like a statue, his eyes focused on the witness stand. His jaw was clenched tight, usually that happens when he has a headache. Tess on the other hand looked cool and relaxed like she had won a marathon. I hate her.

"Have the jury reached a verdict?" Judge Pruitt asked.

"We have your honor," a French woman replied.

"How do you find?" all I could hear now was the sound of my own breath, waiting for the final words to change my life and all around me. If this was goodbye, than let me tell you this was the most spectacular, crazy, kind of scary, but also exhilarating adventure I had ever had. And I couldn't have done it without all of the amazing in my life. Dean, Luke, Keri, Summer, Kathleen, Evan, Carson, Ashlyn, Dad, Tom, and of course, Amelia. I didn't care what happened today, I would always be Amelia Pond's daughter.

"On count 1 of guardianship exchange for Courtney Allison Stern, we find Amelia Pond suitable for motherhood. Amelia Pond now has full legal custody of Courtney Stern," I just died and went to heaven I swear.

Ashlyn gave a high-pitched gasp and wrapped her arms around me, and Amelia praised Ms. Julian. I just stood there for a minute completely frozen, then my brain set off the alarm and started to freak out. Tess's sly smile was wiped clean off her face and her jaw dropped. And I swear I saw dad smile for a moment.

Judge Pruitt banged her gavel on the stone for silence; I could care less right now. But it wasn't over yet, what's to happen to Tess?

"On count 2 of fraud in the second degree, we find Tess Valdini..." Tess chewed on her lip anxiously, and she rubbed her hands against her pants.

"Guilty," if this is a dream than I never want to wake up.

"The government thanks the jury for your services. Tess Valdini is sentenced to two years of community service and is remanded to Denver State Penitentiary. After that is no longer allowed to come within five hundred feet of Amelia Pond, Courtney Stern, or anyone else connected to the family. Court is adjured," she banged the gavel for the last time and left the room.

"Oh my god," I felt like crying.

"It's over sweetie pie we won, you won," Ash cried. That's it, this is all over. I have my life back...but it's even better than before.

-

Ash and I waited outside the courthouse until Amelia and Ms. Julian emerged. I ran up and hugged her.