Chapter 15

People were staring, whispering, gawking; they couldn't believe what they were seeing as I walked into school today. Maybe that's because I was walking hand-in-hand with Tom.

I've been talked about behind my back before, but this time it didn't bother me. Maybe it’s because being with Tom didn't make me feel so exposed? Maybe it's because I actually have a boyfriend, someone to call mine? Someone who will let me hide behind him when I'm uncomfortable? Someone to hug and kiss me?

Someone to love me.

Or maybe it's because after Tom went home last night I called Ashlyn and she screamed for a good two and half minutes at least and probably damaged my hearing.

We walked into health class first, but I stopped dead in my tracks; this was because Keri and Luke were making out on top of a desk. 

"Hey, hey, hey come on now! Act your age!" Dean snapped and pulled them apart.

"That's the thing Dean, that's apparently how most kids today act," Kathleen said.

Tom and I sat side-by-side. Summer sat next to me, Carson sat next to Tom. In front sat Evan talking to Kathleen, behind us was Dean and some girl who looked like a Goth Our teacher Mrs. Jefferson sauntered in with a Jamaican colored shawl draped over her shoulders and her black hair tied into a high bun.

"Alright class sit down, stop throwing stuff, Luke, Keri, and break it up. We are about to begin," she said and set down her work.

"So today we're going to be talking about the reproductive technologies of humans. Now if you were a person and you and your partner were unable to have a child due to medical problems or whatever, what other technologies would you use?" she asked with her thin New Jersey accent. A couple of students raised their hands with answers.

"Talia?"

"IVF, also known as Invitro Fertilization," she replied with her high-pitched voice. Talia was a tiny Chinese girl, with her black, shiny hair that had been cut into a bob and bangs hanging just over her eyebrows. She dressed like a sixties Go-Go girl.

"Good, anybody else?" Mrs. Jefferson asked. I had one definition in mind, but I didn't feel like saying it out loud. It’s not like I didn’t mind taking part in the activity, but I put enough thought on my situation enough, so why should I be forced to think about it in class? Please don't pick me, please don't pick me, please don't pick me-

"Courtney?" why do I even bother?

"Um...um..." I kept looking at Tom nervously. He had that same uneasy look with him.

"I-I'm sorry Mrs. Jefferson I don't know," I replied. Mrs. Jefferson didn't frown; she just nodded with the same humble look on her face.

"Very well, anybody else?"

"Courtney, are you okay? You look a little pale?" Keri asked me.