Chapter 9

As I put my books away in my locker, I could sense Jake coming up to me; spritzing breath spray into his mouth.

"You still smell like beer Jake," I said as he approached me, I didn't look him in the eye.

"Cute, you know, just because you've only been here for a day doesn't mean I'm not already attracted to you. How about after school today, you and I go get a coffee and get to know each other better?" he asked.

"Nope, got plans," I replied and zipped up my bag. Jake slammed my locker shut; the metal door nearly collided with my nose.

"Quit with the game already, you think I don't see it? You're just acting disinterested as a part of your little tame game," he said.

"What's a ‘tame-game’?" I asked confused.

"It's pathetic. You've been here for a day, and already I can see right through you. I already know you practically," he replied, completely ignoring my question.

"Kay, I've only been here a day Jake, you don't know a thing about me. So play your games but I won't participate to your childish delusions. Go drink a beer and replace that disgusting smell of mint mixed with it. Seriously it's disgusting," I said; just then, my phone dinged. It was a text from Tom. Before I could open it, Jake snatched it from me.

"Wha-hey! Give me that!" I tried reaching for my phone; he just pulled away and read it.

"Huh, you and Tom Hartford getting pretty close?" he asked.

"That is none of your bees guts, now give me the damn phone!" I replied and snatched it back .

"If you honestly think he's going to go out with you than you're wrong. He's got Ms. Cederman to swoon over," he said.

"Tom doesn't like Madison, she's obsessed with him," I replied.

"Stay in your denial stage, but I've been in this school longer than you have, so I'm just warning you. Don't make yourself a rebound for Hartford," he said.

"Alright you know what? I think the only reason you're telling me a whole load of crap is because you're pissed at Tom and everybody else for figuring out who you are and exposing you a fraudulent dumbass," I stated.

"Smart girl, but you have no proof. Call me if Hartford breaks your heart," he said and walked away.

"Not going to happen Beer Breath," I called as he left. He shot me a dirty look and continued walking. I smirked and headed down the hall towards Tom's locker. He was standing there with Madison talking to him. He had an annoyed look in his eyes. I waited patiently against the wall.

"Seriously you can not be seen with these people all the time. You don't want people to think you're a loser. I mean that'll just make you look like a peasant compared to me. And people will question us when we walk down these halls. The point of being on the top is striding through the place like you own it, but it'll be hard if you don't expand your friend bases," she explained. All I could do roll my eyes.