Chapter 40

Tom

We had two weeks away until graduation...and this was all over. I should’ve been excited, I'd be a legal adult within a year.

Outside on the school ground, Evan and Carson were sitting on a picnic bench, chatting excitedly.

"Hey, what's going on?" I asked.

"You will not believe the news we just got, best day ever," Carson said.

"Let me guess, you built a time machine and plan on going to the time of dinosaurs?" I asked.

"Very funny...but we should do that," Evan said.

"But not the dinosaur age, we should go to ancient Rome," Carson added.

"Guys! The best day ever news?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, Welton's in the hospital!" Carson exclaimed, Evan high-fived him. How can they be happy about that?

"What do you mean Jake's in the hospital?" I asked.

"He tried to OD himself last night, looks like we'll never have to worry about wedgies and flying food ever again," Evan replied.

"Guys this isn't good this is awful," I said.

"Why?" Carson asked.

"You guys are such idiots!" I exclaimed, than ran out of the school gates.

Evan

"What's his deal?"

"Beats me, Jake tried to rape his girlfriend, you think he'd be doing the happy dance."

Courtney

"Well is he okay?" I asked.

"We don't know. We had an emergency assembly this morning and were instructed not to talk about it," Keri replied.

"I'm not clear on what happened," I said.

"From what I heard Jake's mom found him in his room the other night unconscious with an empty pill bottle and vodka," she replied.

"Is he still out?" I asked.

"Like I said I don't know the full details, but if his mom didn't come in when she did Jake might be singing with the angels as we speak," she replied.

"Maybe I should come back," I said.

"No honey don't, we have everything under control here, we're still trying to find out who framed your mom and we're not letting the law get away with it," Keri protested.