Chapter 42

Courtney

Today, Ash and I planned on uncovering what we'd found in the house. I got up, took a shower and got dressed. While checking over myself, I realized I needed something. So I decided to go through my bag for something, a hat, maybe a hairclip...but I came upon my glasses. Images, flashbacks, they all played back in my head. I miss him, all of them...but hopefully after all this it'll be over and I can get my life back. So I placed my glasses on my face and left for the courthouse.

-

When we got to the courthouse we presented the evidence we found to Ms. Julian. She said it wasn't solid but the log book could be enough to turn the case around.

"All rise! Honorable Judge Ruth Pruit presiding!" that's probably the thirtieth time I've heard that god damn line!

"Ms. Julian I've looked over the evidence you've provided me and I'm granting it relevant to the case," Judge Pruitt said.

"Your honor may I approach the bench?" Ms. Benghal asked.

"On what grounds Ms. Benghal?"

"Professionalism being handed to civilians, in this case the defendants," she said. Huh? What does that mean?

"You may approach," oh great, this should be good.

"What's going on? Ms. Pond?" Ashlyn asked.

"I don't know girls, but whatever happens it'll be alright," she replied. I have a very uneasy feeling in my gut. The two lawyers were whispering to the judge for another three minutes until they returned, Ms. Julian looked very defeated, the uneasy feeling's growing stronger.

"What's going on?" Amelia asked.

"I tried darling but there's no arguing with Judge Pruitt on a case like this," Ms. Julian replied.

"I'm lost," Ashlyn said. Judge Pruitt banged her gavel on the stone...or whatever they call it.

"Based on the actions of Ms. Stern and Ms. Brown, I am dismissing the theory against Tess Valdini," she announced. Uneasy feeling confirmed, now I want to throw up.

"Thank you your honor." Ms. Benghal said, with Tess smiling like the Cheshire cat behind her.

"I'm not finished Ms. Benghal. The log book is still included in evidence." Hah! Tess: 1-Courtney: A RANDOM NUMBER WITH A WHOLE LOTTA ZEROES AT THE END!

"Call your first witness Ms. Julian,"

-

Believe it or not, Keith kept his promise and came to court. He actually cleaned up pretty nice...for a lazy-ass junkie.

"Mr. Keith Overy, is that right?" Ms. Julian asked.