Chapter 22

After the phone call, Yuna had a conflicted expression on her face. She was in her apartment with her family for a homecooked dinner when the phone rang. The caller ID was from the mental institute where her biological mother was admitted to, and it's been years since she heard from her mother.

"Miss Yuna, I know it's hard, but Miss Aoi wants to meet with you here, is that okay?"

She honestly doesn't know what to do so she told the caller that she'd call back once she made her decision.

"Yuna dear, is everything okay?" Alisa approached the visibly troubled girl. Yuna turned to her stepmother and lets out a small smile, "Mom, I... I got a call from the mental institute. They said that my biological mother is looking for me." She stated before frowning, "I feel troubled. I'm sorry..." she looked down to the floor, feeling ashamed.

Alisa looked at her stepdaughter and lets out a comforting smile, "I think you should take the chance to meet her. It's been years, and you weren't there when she was sent to the mental institute, right?" she advised as she wrapped her arms around the teen.

"There's nothing wrong with reconciliation and a way to clear up any misunderstandings. It has been about 3 years since you've been separated from her." She said as she combs her hand into the bright brown locks she loves.

"I will always be here for you, two mothers are better than one, don't you think?" she jested gently but Yuna knew she was also half-serious with what she said.

Yuna felt blessed to have such an amazing stepmother by her side. Throughout her pain, Alisa was one of the supporting pillars in her life that helped her pick herself back up.

She was easily more of a mother than her own birth mother, gentle and kind even though she shares no blood relation with her.

'Family really is beyond blood, it's all on the bond.' Yuna thought with a smile as she hugged back, "Okay then, if you believe that's the best decision, then I'm going for it." She said.

Alisa felt the girl tighten her arms around her, "Thanks Mom." Yuna said, and it warmed Alisa's heart. She also felt blessed that she had an understanding stepdaughter who accepted her with no problems at all. She was mature and independent, and Alisa admired Yuna for all of it.

She will always see this girl as her own child, there's no one who could ever tell her otherwise.

"That's good. Now let's go eat dinner before your hug kills me."
"Oh was it too tight? Sorry Mom!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuna walked to school the next day, thinking about the extra trip she has to take today. She agreed to meet her mother, and when her father heard of it last night, he insisted to join her to keep her safe.

With that it was decided that father and daughter would have a small reunion with her mother.

"To keep me safe... seems like Dad can never forgive and forget, huh?" she mumbled out in a daze.

"Yuna, how are you today?" Sousuke asked through the phone as Yuna lets out a hum. She picked herself off her bedroom floor and properly sat down instead, "I'm fine." She said, wishing her father didn't pick up on her slight wince in her tone.

"Are you sure? Any problems you need help with?" he asked in concern. Yuna looked across her, seeing herself in the full-length mirror. She saw a beat-up girl with messed up brown locks and dead blue eyes. She was sure there would be bruises all over her torso and some in her arms that she could cover up just fine.