Family Ties

I told Mese that it was probably best that we stuck together so that she did not get lost herself. After some time aimlessly wandering around the alleyway streets, I decided that maybe we should head towards a more populated area-I had noticed a marketplace on my way to Hermes's cabin that was bustling  with minor gods and music. 

The gold paved streets all seemed to lead to the shiny spectrum of god life, so we made it there rather effortlessly. All around us, saytrs and nymphs were dancing and playing flutes and gods were talking and purchasing multiple frivolous things.

"There he is!" Mese tugged on my shirt and I watched as her black hair weaved and disappeared in the large crowd. Afraid of losing the small child, I ran after her and saw her grab for a brown tabby cat that was nestled on top of a stand selling rainbow trout and snacking on a large fish. The owner of the stand seemed to realize this and was yelling at the cat and Mese. 

"How cliche..." I muttered and ran over to them to try and settle the dispute. "What is wrong, sir?" I approached the man with caution since he was fairly large and fairly angry.

"You-you half bloods! THAT'S what is wrong with me!" He pointed to Mese-know holding her cat. "Do you know how long it took me to catch all of these fish?!" He turned his finger on to me."I may be a Potamoi* but fish do not just swim into the net! Now you two aren't leaving here until I get my payment!" He pounded an angry fist onto his golden stand holding his fish.

 I held up two hands in a sort of surrender and pulled my wallet out of my back pocket-even though I know he is not going to take human cash-but it is all I have. "How much?" 

He looked at my leather wallet then back at my serious face before letting out a loud series of boisterous laughter. Slowly, his laughter started to boil down, but it caused other minor god and goddess attentions to stray over to us. "Twenty four drachmas!" He grinned.

I choked on air and shook my head. Drachmas were gold coins that gods used and they were worth a lot of money, but I didn't think that one stupid little trout was worth that much! "Twenty Four?!" 

"Four for the fish and twenty for the theft!" He chuckled loudly. "As by the Olympic law!"

What an ass. 

I was about to tell him that I did not have that much when a blond man who looked around the age of nineteen with golden bronzed skin stepped out of the crowd and came over to the stand. "What is going on here?"

The fish seller's face suddenly turned a pale white and he stuttered over his words trying to explain. "S-Sir Apollo! The-se half blood children, they stole-" But Apollo silenced him with his hand.

"From what I have been hearing-is that the cat stole the fish. Now if I am correct, Olympian law states that 'Any persons stealing any goods, will have to pay the price of the good plus twenty drachmas for law offense.' Now, I may be wrong, but I do not believe that the cat implies as a person." Apollo smiled and I suddenly felt a warm presence surrounding me, I guess the sun god has the warmth as well as the job.

"But! What about my fish?! I am now going to make negative profit!" The fisherman yelled and grumbled as he threw the bones of the eaten fish away.

"Here, four drachmas, as you said." Apollo pulled four golden coins out of his pocket and set them down on to the table next the the man. "And I will be expecting my usual delivery at four, correct?" He smiled at the fisherman with a set pearly white teeth and the man smiled back, Apollo seemed to be able to change peoples moods just by his air.

"Er, thank you." I averted my eyes from the Olympian. "You did not have to do that." I muttered, but still grateful that he saved us.

Apollo chuckled and clapped me on the back. "No problem! You are very welcome." His striking blue eyes gazed into mine and his smile altered into a confused grimace. "Wait-Scarlett?" He shook his head and examined me closer.