Chapter Nine: Of Fortune And Destiny

There Evette was, standing in the cold darkness

There Evette was, standing in the cold darkness. She shook her head and stepped into the glow of the moonlight. The fog that clouded her judgment dissipated. She realized orange veins once again started to glow beneath the skin of her right arm. She pulled back the fabric of her sleeve to see the light travel further and further, almost reaching her shoulder now.

Eve gasped. It was difficult for her to remember the past few minutes. Behind her were the shut double doors of the Dunken Manor. She couldn't remember ever exiting through them. Furrowing her brow in confusion, she let the thick fabric of her dress sleeve go.

The dirt streets of Dwarves Road were relatively empty. As Evette walked alone, she noticed open shutters nearby. She could hear voices and music coming from a few of the main buildings in the square. She weaved through a few alleys before stumbling upon a small shop on the end of a long row. Glancing through the open door, flickering candles noticeably illuminated the items for sale on display. Tall decorated tapered candles dressed in dangling jewels, shawls with fringed edges, and beautiful feathered hats were all on display. A silhouette of a woman inside came into view as Eve began to pass by.

Evette quickly realized her compromising position. She unbraided her long hair and pulled a few silky strands forward, covering her pointy ears. Her hair blew gently behind her in the wind. Eve watched as the woman's silhouette inside of the doorway cast a shadow on the wooden deck beside her.

When the woman stepped over the threshold of the door her features were lit up by the rays of the moon. Her dress was a colorful green, with flowing sleeves and a decorated hem that swayed as she gracefully shifted. Her embroidered shoes weren't practical, and her many gold necklaces jangled on her collar bone. The hoop earnings in her ears made her look exotic; even a tad intimidating. Evette had never seen a woman like her. Ruby colored rings brought out the dark shine of her pudgy fingers. She glanced down at Evette, while slowly wrapping her arm around the wooden pillar that held up the veranda out front.

"Are you lost?" The woman's tone was light, unthreatening, and sweet. The exotic accent in her voice was new to Eve.

Evette met the woman's eyes. Her blue orbs reminded her of her stepmother's. The woman's flowing black hair was the same length as Maria's also. Of course, the woman did not have Maria's pale skin, which set them apart. Nonetheless, the small resemblances were almost uncanny.

Clearing her throat, Evette searched her memory. It took her a moment to remember Narcisse walk away. His clenched fists and fuming expression were all she remembered.

"No ma'm." Evette replied, placing a gentle hand on the pommel of her sword just to be safe.

The woman stepped down, now standing before Eve. She blinked, and tilted her head. Her blue eyes glanced over Evette.

"What's your name elf?" The woman asked.

Eve paused, she felt the palms of her hands start to get clammy. She could hear her heartbeat echo in her ears. "How did you. . ." She trailed off, her voice shaky.