Chapter Seven: Of Fire And Water

The company approached Dwarves Road

The company approached Dwarves Road. The small town was dreary and filled with curious eyes. The town's alderman scouted ahead, and saw the decorated wagon from miles away. He scratched his head and gently brushed his salt and pepper colored beard with his wrinkled fingers.

Narcisse placed his worn metal helmet on his head. His men, Jameson and Montgomery, also followed in his action. Jameson, tied his dirty blonde hair back and sat up straighter as the company approached their destination. Montgomery simply stared blankly, as he was already prepared for what was to come.

Evette sat in the decorated wagon beside the girls. She carefully peeked out of the front of the wagon to see the old dusty town they called Dwarves Road. Farrah walked side by side with Noel's stallion, her muzzle gently tied with medium length rope to keep her from straying.

"Are we there yet?" Rosalie asked while twirling a strand of her blonde hair around her finger.

"I hope they are nice. We've come all this way already." Naomi said quietly.

"They better not try anything. . . I probably should have listened to my father when he suggested I learn how to hold a sword properly." Rosalie looked nervous now.

"Evette, who taught you how to use this thing?" Morgan asked, her dainty hands gripping the large sheathed sword leaning beside Eve.

"Give me that!" Evette turned and ripped her father's heavy sword from Morgan's grasp. She looked into her curious grey eyes.

"Sorry." Morgan apologized and pulled her knees up, hugging them tightly.

"No one taught me. My half brothers always used to tease me and tear up my clothes when I was younger. I remember forcing one of Arwin's guards to let me borrow his sword in the late afternoon for weeks. I learned how to get back at my brothers eventually." Evette said, her expression guarded.

"You forced him? How?" Rosalie tilted her head.

"I saw him doing something he wasn't supposed to. I threatened him, and he listened." Evette said flatly. She was careful to not make eye contact with Morgan. If only she knew.

"You blackmailed him?! Weren't you just a young girl?" Rosalie asked as she glanced at Evette, who peeked out of the wagon once more.

"You're never too young to cause chaos. Everyone has a reputation; mine just happened to start with blackmail." Evette watched as the six guards outside all came to a stop when they reached the ground where the alderman stood.

"What did the guard do?" Rosalie questioned.

Evette shushed the girls quietly. She watched as Narcisse slid off the back of his horse and spoke to the short man who stood as straight as he could, his creased brow furrowed. The man in his late fifties was dressed casually, obviously not caring what others thought of him. He thoroughly observed the wagon and the three elven men who now stood.