Chapter Two: Of Pain And Sorrow

Evette marched towards Noel's quarters with a thousand and one thoughts flowing through her mind

Evil. Wicked. Rotten. No good. Evil. . . already said that one. Evette groaned inwardly as she thought of all of the possible words to describe her stepmother, the queen.

The one thing Eve couldn't figure out, was why Maria hated her so much. Yes, Arwin was unfaithful to her and fathered a child with another woman besides her, but was that grounds to hate a stepchild to no end? Was it justified?

Evette stopped just outside of Noel's quarters. He had always refused to have guards outside of his room, so Eve simply knocked gently on the wooden door. There was a moment of silence before Noel pulled open the door, his green eyes gave away his feelings of anger and sadness.

"What-" Evette couldn't finish before she was suddenly pulled inside of Noel's large bedroom and engulfed in his arms, her head rested on his hard chest.

"Do you remember when we were children and I told you I would never let you feel alone? Do you remember me telling you how much I cared for you?" Noel's voice cracked as he spoke rather quickly, his arms wrapped around Evette.

"Yes." Evette sighed.

"Then, I don't want you to get upset at anyone. You have to let me go to Drogen, I have to." Noel held Evette's face in his hands, her eyes glossy with tears.

"But you don't have to." Evette gripped onto Noel's forearm.

"I can't defy your father's orders."

"This is my stepmother's doing. She's tearing apart everyone's life one detail at a time, one elf at a time, and I'm next. You can't leave Noel, you know you can't!" Evette let the tears fall, and Noel pulled her in once more so her head rested on his chest. Her salty tears soaked into his grey undershirt.

"I don't have a choice." Noel said sadly.

"Then I don't either. I'll go with you! I'll be the sixth girl." Evette blurted out.

"No. I won't let you go to Drogen. I won't let them hurt you." Noel said, his tone dark.

"How do you know they will hurt me?" Evette couldn't believe what she was saying. Was she actually considering this?

"Have you ever known a human to not harm an elf? I don't know what their angle is, but I know that this newfound peace isn't going to last long." Noel sighed.

"But the alliance, it will be set in stone once the King in the West marries one of the elven maidens. Don't you think the human king will keep his word?" Evette asked, her tears drying.

"I don't know. He's never broken a promise or a vow, but that doesn't mean he won't to have this war finally come to an end. Just because he once promised to behead one hundred elves on the battlefield and did, doesn't mean he will be honest with your father." Noel certainly had a point.