Chapter Eleven: Of Wood And Silver

The wooden cross wrapped in silver was captivating

The wooden cross wrapped in silver was captivating. It was there, gently laying in the palm of Evette's hand. With her eyes closed, Eve could feel the warm air surround her in the state of her dream. The smell of deep musk mixed with the scent of wildflowers graced her senses. She shifted, feeling the solid ground beneath her covered feet.

Evette heard the steady beat of her heart as she soaked up her last few minutes of beauty sleep. She felt joyous when she turned in all directions to see the vast forest. Her dream felt warm at first, but as the moments passed, she began to feel uneasy. The dark had crept in around her, curling in waves and shadows. They weren't just any shadows though, they were silver clouds of darkness laced with sparkling lines of light. As they rolled in like waves, Evette took another glance at the necklace in her hands. She witnessed the necklace heat and burn with flames of fire, and she shook her hand to ease the pain. She released her brother's gift from her grasp; the necklace fell to the ground.

The shrubbery caught fire, forcing Evette to take many steps backward. An outline of the pendant was burned into her skin, marking the same place where her brother had seemingly shot her with an arrow. Just then, amongst the silver smoke, she no longer felt alone in the thick of the forest. She felt a presence surround her, just like the darkness had.

Evette's lungs were heavy with exasperation. She could only describe her current state as paralysis. The way she felt now was unlike the night she spent dreaming of her brother opening his eyes. Everything was different now. From the eerie atmosphere, to the stern hold someone now had on her forearm, everything was dark. . . everything became threatening in the strangest of ways.

Eve could feel the warm breath of whoever was beside her now. They were so close, that she could hear their irregular heart beat. They sucked in a low breath before they spoke in an unfamiliar voice.

"I'll meet you in the forest." The promise sent a chill down the back of Evette's neck. It was his deep, slightly hoarse rumble that was alarming. Whoever the man was, she did not know him. She had never heard his voice, or felt his touch. He was there with Evette, breathing without lungs, speaking without a voice, and hearing her low whimper of fear without ears. His presence slithered around her like the coil of a snake's tail, slowly squeezing until she began to suffocate in his depths.

At the heart of the darkness, Eve found her own light. Her skin was glowing again; it was brighter this time. She began to feel faint as the burn in the second degree left her in agony. She felt exposed and unsafe. Marked by flesh and fire, she could now feel the target on her back. Eve had been found somehow; tracked by a man who wished to meet her in the forest.

Although she didn't know the man in her dream, Eve felt that they would be well acquainted in time. Whether she would get to know his personality before spilling his bloody guts all over the forest floor, was yet to be determined. She would wager good money that his eyes were ice blue, cold, and frozen like Evette's body when she tried to move. She screamed in fear and pain.