Chapter Twelve: Of Swords And Arrows

Evette realized something else in the week she had spent on the road

Evette realized something else in the week she had spent on the road. It was finally time for her to come to terms with that fourth realization. It did not concern Narcisse, Jameson, Montgomery, or the five girls she still barely knew. She had taken many hours to examine her situation. It was the late afternoon now, and she had spent the better half of the day at the back of the group.

Noel was just ahead of Eve. Her eyes shamelessly drilled holes into the back of his skull. She wondered what he was pondering in that brain of his. Was he thinking about her? She wondered. His feelings were shown subtly, so subtly that Evette had not noticed them for the longest time. He was once invisible to her, but she knew that she could no longer try to escape the situation at hand.

Yes, he was the only person she would sacrifice for. No, she did not love him. She could not lie about her feelings toward Noel. It was apparent that he did not share the same feeling of wanting to simply stay friends. He wanted something Evette could not give him.

He was beautiful and righteous; practically perfect in his own imperfect way. He was too good for Evette, and she knew it. She was one for adventure and uncertainty. She craved danger, and longed for flaming passion. She was a lost woman, searching for a place to belong. He was a found man, looking for someone to get lost in. They were both on the same path, heading in opposite directions.

Evette was still young and beautiful, but that did not guarantee the life she wanted. She did not wish to marry, or settle down in the countryside. Perhaps in due time she would find someone to spend the rest of her life with. Until then, she was going to live life to the fullest.

Noel was ten years old when he first witnessed suffering. With his father busy attempting to win a war, and his mother absent, he clung to those he considered family. Evette held his hand that night, her breath shaky and her legs tired. At the age of eight, she was good at reassuring others. She was good at being sweet and innocent. Now, nine years later, not so much.

Evette recognized the differences between Noel and herself. She was becoming her own person now. She could choose if she wanted to stay right where she was, or gallop away into the sunset. There would be casualties and disasters either way, but she felt strong in her newfound independence. She could handle whatever situation life decided to throw.

Eve was strong and capable, but for all of the wrong reasons. There was something in the darkest part of her that was calling her home. It whispered in her ear each time she became angry or upset. The skin on her arms prickled whenever she felt the same force push her over the edge. Each time she gazed into the eyes of a friend or stranger, she felt the need to force their gaze away. She wanted to claw at their throat and tear away at their skin. She wanted to shut the open doors to their souls by ripping out the gateway. It was a violent impulse that was disgusting and wrong, but she could not help it.

Before all of the events leading up to this, she knew there was a darkness in her. It was visible in her actions. The guard's spear she snapped on the battlement was just as brittle as her patience. The second she drug her father's blade across Maria's throat, was the moment she awakened her true darkness.