Chapter Eight: Of Anger And Heat

Evette heard Morgan scrape the bottom of her empty wooden bowl clean

Evette heard Morgan scrape the bottom of her empty wooden bowl clean. In the dining hall of the Dunken manor, all fell quiet. The girls ate away at their prepared food, and thanked the servants for the meal.

Dressed in a borrowed gown, Eve felt out of her element. The linen of the brown dress was tight around her waist. Rosalie warned Evette not to ruin the garment that had been handmade back in Tigerstar, but Evette felt like her skin was burning up underneath the fabric. She wanted to tear off the long bottom of the dress so her short legs could breathe. Maybe then, her skin would no longer feel as if it was on fire.

"Have you enjoyed your journey so far? Were there any complications?" Andrew shoved his face full of food and spoke with his mouth open. His voice helped to distract Evette from the heat she felt under her skin.

"There have not been any complications. . . the journey hasn't been as rocky as we thought it would be." Rosalie spoke for the girls. Evette glanced up at her as she bit into the food in front of her.

"I hope you didn't think that us humans would mistreat you girls. We aren't all bad. . . some just don't have anything better to do with their time than to dwell in the past." Andrew said casually.

Evette locked eyes with Narcisse from across the table. There was a moment where the two pondered the old man's words. Evette momentarily felt less threatened by the humans around her. They gave her no reason to feel uncomfortable, but there was still an eery feeling in the pit of her stomach. The feeling resurfaced each time she took a glance at Narcisse Sterling, the man who took her money and continued to keep her secret. Whether good or bad, there was a noticeable shift in his emotions the moment he locked eyes with the girl across from him. Evette was the first to break eye contact. She was usually never the one to glance way first, but again, there was something in his eyes that made her feel uneasy. Her survival was the most important thing to her. Self-preservation, she reminded herself. Upsetting a human who knew one of her grave secrets wasn't in her best interest at the moment. She kept her mouth shut and continued to bite away at the beef in her bowl.

"Spending hours in the saddle is never easy. I suppose none of you would know anything about that though. You aren't travelers." Narcisse glanced at Andrew, and then shifted his gaze toward the girls. His tone held a sharp edge, one that could cut.

Montgomery stifled a laugh. He gulped down the rest of the wine in his cup and placed it down on the table suddenly. "Do ya' remember that time when you fell off your horse in Burrow Town? God, that was a laugh. That ol' stallion wasn't puttin' up with any of your tricks. To think, they called him a trick horse." He scoffed.

It was easy to get a rise out of Narcisse. He shot Montgomery a dangerous glance. Jameson began to laugh lowly, genuinely enjoying the show.

"Come on now! have a bit of fun, will you lad?" Andrew nudged Narcisse.