Chapter Eighteen: Of Eyes And Light

"What are you?" Narcisse asked, his lips trembling

Evette tried to remain serious. "Death. Here to claim your soul." She said in the most formal voice she could muster. She was joking of course, but Narcisse did not catch on. Tremors harshly shook his body.

Narcisse nodded, his expression pained. He was full on crying now, wet tears streaming down his masculine face. He sniffled, and for a second, Evette felt just a tang of guilt. He was a grown man, who had always hidden his feelings, and now he was unraveling at the sight of a girl he barely knew. It was unlike him.

His body could not stay upright any longer, and Eve watched as Narcisse fell sideways into the dirt, no longer conscious.

"It was a joke." Eve murmured just as she watched him pass out. Lying face first in cold embers was not a good look for him. "So much for dark humor. . ."

Evette bent down, and rolled Narcisse onto his side, her fingers gently brushing over the side of his face. His expression softened, and the lines in his forehead were less prominent than before. She smiled at the sight of him, but was also pained when she glanced down to see his wounds. He was swimming in buckles and belts, an empty sheath at his side and front. The blades had gotten away from him, and were scattered amongst the ash. He had lost both of them.

The skin of his arms felt leathery and cracked, yet soft as she ran her scorching hands over his skin. His pulse slowed, and his breath became shallow. Evette knew what it was when she felt it. The blood dribbling down his left forearm looked black in the firelight. His arm was mangled from the bite of a wolf, all shredded flesh and gaping muscle. It was ten times worse than any injury Evette had sustained. The shallow, jagged tooth that was lodged beneath his skin looked back at Eve with a scowl. She did not remove the unnatural bone, afraid of how it might affect him.

Eve quickly stood, and turned her attention to the two shifters surrounded by a roaring circle of flame. She stormed toward them, and stepped over the threshold of the circle, unbothered by the heat.

"Who are you? And why do you wish to keep us from reaching our destination?" Evette's voice boomed. She stepped closer to them, and watched as they backed away from her with each step.

"My lady," The familiar grey-eyed man said too quickly. "We did not mean to interfere with your quest, I assure you. Please, I beg of you, make the fire stop." He begged, practically on his knees.

"How do I know you won't run? You coward." Evette refused. She stood fiercely, an orange gleam in her big eyes. Her stained wings flapped gently behind her back, the movement domineering.

"For what words are worth, you can trust me. There is a girl in your company, I must speak to her. I can explain everything." The man assured.

"Good, because you do not have much time. Start explaining, or I will have to cut this short." Eve threatened, her hands balling into bloody fists.