Chapter Ten: Of Knowledge And Sympathy

"Would you mind if I cast a vision spell? It will show us a vision the spirits want us to see

"Would you mind if I cast a vision spell? It will show us a vision the spirits want us to see." Avá asked, her hands wrapped around Evette's right palm.

"Witchcraft and practices of blood magic are forbidden in human territory. It's been the law for years." Evette said matter of factly.

"I don't practice blood magic. I heal with the divine energy that I am given from those who are listening. See?" Avá removed Evette's fabric bandage, revealing her healed palm. The arrow wound was gone now, and Eve gasped as she yanked her hand away.

"What did you do to me?!" Evette's eyes were wide. She stared at her hand in awe.

"I healed you. You can relax, I told you I'm not going to hurt you." Avá smiled.

"Why are you doing this?" Evette wondered.

"Because you and I are alike in many ways. It's complicated, to say the least." Avá pulled her dark hair back and twisted it into a braid.

Evette glanced at Avá's ears. They were perfectly round in shape, and her earrings looked stunning. If you looked closely, there was discolored scarring on the cartilage of her ears. It was barely noticeable, but Eve couldn't glance away. She felt a tear dare to slip out and drip down from her left eye. "You cut them off?" Her voice came out in a whisper.

"I had to. It was the only way I could survive." Avá answered, while gently running the tip of her finger along the cartilage of her ear where a pointed tip used to be. She removed a part of her that displayed who she truly was, an elf just like Evette.

"I once lived on an island off the western coast. Years ago, it was destroyed by humans. Burned to ash in the sea. . ." Avá paused and let out a sigh. "I swam and swam, but my wedding dress weighed me down. I sank on my wedding day, and I'll never forget who pulled me out of the water. I wish that I had not been saved, I wish I had died."

"How did you end up here?" Evette sat down.

"A human soldier pulled me out of the water. He knew that he could fetch a high price for a princess, so he sold me to the one person who was offering gold." Avá shrugged while speaking. She seemed so unaffected by her past.

"I'm sorry that happened to you." Evette looked down.

"It's in my past now. The king could have been more cruel to me. I was lucky to get away." Avá waved it off. She placed her elbows on the table and rested her head in her hands.

"You were bought by the king?" Evette asked quietly. She fiddled with the hilt of her sword that rested in her lap.

"Ichor Dregoth. He's long dead, but his fourth son now sits on the throne. His son made a mess of our lands and beliefs. At least when Ichor ruled, most of his people actually cared for him with some regard." Avá sighed.