Chapter Fifteen: Of Wolves And Sheep

Evette's eyelids fluttered shut

Evette's eyelids fluttered shut. She could not stay awake any longer. Her body refused to endure another sleepless moment. A loud noise sounded from beside her, and she felt her right cheek heat with a sudden discomfort. Narcisse's folded leather gloves and heavy hand were what had caused her body to jerk forward.

"What's wrong?" She gasped. Her eyes shot open, and she tightened her grip on the reigns in her hands. The four horses she commanded had been walking for hours, and she had fought to stay awake with each step they took.

"You were falling asleep." Narcisse said from beside Evette. His brown courser paced beside the wagon. He placed his gloves back into the saddle bag at his side. He preferred to not wear them when riding. They were best used for slapping innocent, tired elves.

"I did not mean to," Eve whispered as she sat up straight. "I'm just tired." She yawned loudly.

"So am I, but at least I am not giving in to temptation. Will I need to startle you awake again? Best tell me now." Narcisse reached for his pair of brown gloves once more, and Evette quickly spoke up.

"That won't be necessary!" She said, her eyes wide.

"Good." He said simply.

Evette gently shook her head. She stared into the dark, her eyes heavy with exhaustion. Out of the corner of her right eye, she could see Narcisse glance over. She subtly met his gaze after a long moment. "You okay?" She asked quietly when she caught him staring.

Narcisse cleared his throat. "Just checking. You can not fall asleep again." He answered.

"I won't. You can stop staring." Eve shot back. She heard Narcisse chuckle under his breath, and shift in his saddle.

"I was not staring."

"Whatever." Evette mumbled under her breath.

"Did your parents teach you any manners?" Narcisse asked, his tone disapproving. 

"I had many lessons, but I do not remember most of them." Evette said honestly. She sat back in her seat, one hand on the reigns; the other behind her head. Her lack of care was evident, and her unladylike posture was laughable.

"If you are going to pretend to be someone you are not, you should at least try to be convincing in your role. You should work on your posture." The words lightly stung, and Evette was quick to reply to Narcisse's honest observation.

"What does my posture matter?" Evette asked as she secretly rolled her eyes.

"It matters to the people who you should at least try to impress. Those in high places judge everything, every single detail. It does not matter to me. I am simply trying to speak from the viewpoint of someone who may harshly judge you due to your lack of ladylike tendencies." Narcisse clarified.