Chapter Nineteen: Of Memory And Warning

"Evette Star

"Evette Star." Eve said her true name before she could stop herself. She felt comfortable enough to be honest, even if it meant she could face certain hostility.

"A princess. Hmm, I'm curious as to why you're so far away from home. You running from something?" Jade asked, her tone curious.

"What do you think?" Evette deflected the question. She gave nothing away.

"I think you're afraid to leave him." Jade paused as she pointed to unconscious Narcisse in the dark. "Elves and humans don't usually fall in love." She finished.

"I don't love him!" Evette said quickly, her arms folded over her chest.

"But you do care for him, no?" Jade asked.

"I saved him because I need his help. He's the only person who can help me find something that is now lost." Evette sighed.

"Yeah, sure. What exactly do you need him to help you find?" Eve could hear the skepticism in Jade's voice.

"Don't make it weird."

"I was just asking a question." Jade defended.

"Well, stop asking questions like you don't believe me. I don't love him."

"But, you will eventually. I have a feeling. I can sense these things." Jade raised a curious brow in the dark, unseen by her new acquaintance.

"Oh God, another visionary." Evette said quietly. Jade heard her mumble under her breath, but could not make out her words.

"What?"

"I said you're a real pain, and if I could still see you, I'd have broken your nose already." Evette raided her voice.

"You are a violent one, aren't you?"

"Shut up." Evette said through gritted teeth.

"Sorry, can't. I was born a talker, and I'll die a talker."

"You won't be talking if I'm choking you to death." Evette threatened.

"Ooh, I'm really scared." Jade replied sarcastically.

"You should be." Eve groaned angrily.

"You like to threaten people." Jade nodded. "Do I sense family issues?"

"You know nothing about me." Evette practically growled. She leaned against the brick wall behind her, clearly on edge.