Chapter Five: Of Freedom And Clarity

The man who stood on the battlement vanished before Evette's eyes

The man who stood on the battlement vanished before Evette's eyes. She paused, and yanked Farrah's reigns back. The white mare came to a sudden stop, her head lifted regally as she let out a nicker. Eve felt the adrenaline stop coursing. She came down from her painful high. Her right palm throbbed with a deathly heat that radiated from her hand, up to her forearm, and finally stopped at her covered shoulder.

Noel paused, his brown stallion stood steady. He was a few feet away from the girl behind him. With a turn of his head, he noticed the look of shock and pain evident in Evette's eyes and expression. The blood that oozed out and dripped from her hand had made a horrible mess. Noel rode forward, no longer aware of the men at Tigerstar Castle staring straight at him and his girl. He parked his horse just beside Farrah and leaned so he could touch Eve's wounded hand.

A loud tearing sound broke the dusty silence. Noel tore a strip of fabric from the cotton rectangle beneath the saddle on his horse, before removing his metal forearm guard from his right arm. He took Evette's bloody hand and extended it so he could see the wound. She winced in pain slightly when he began bandaging her hand with the cloth he tore. Once he had stopped the bleeding to the best of his ability, he slipped the metal forearm guard over Evette's arm to keep the bandage in place. The piece of metal armor didn't cover the wound where the arrow had passed through, but it kept Eve's arm braced steadily.

"You stole his horse, and his sword." Noel said as he finished fastening the guard onto Evette's forearm. He didn't glance up at her as he spoke; his expression was serious and unreadable.

"The king won't miss them. He can replace a horse and a sword with the snap of his fingers." Eve said quietly. As the man beside her lifted his head and met her gaze, she could tell he could sense the heartbreak in her tone. He saw through her mask of seemingly hardened emotions.

"I should take you back to the castle before they come searching for us both." Noel let go of Eve's newly bandaged hand, and gently placed it on her thigh. 

"They'd probably kill us both if you did." Eve said, matter of factly.

"What did you do?" Noel asked curiously.

Evette shook her head. She wasn't going to admit what she had done out loud. She glanced down, no longer meeting her friend's gaze.

"Tell me." Noel demanded.

"I can't." Eve felt the tears welling up in her eyes.

Noel grabbed Evette's throbbing hand and yanked it towards him, a whimper escaped her lips as he did. His breath fanned her face now, and he pulled her as close to him as he could. She was almost falling off of her horse now.