. Thirty .

{Chanel's Point of View}
.
.
.

The next day went by in a flurry of events as I happily showed both Evalina and Vincent my home town.

While my best friend not so secretly pined for her love, Cesare. I was finding it hard not to give in to a certain Spanish man's charms.

With every slight gesture, from him holding a door open for Lina and I, to listening to place his lunch order...I found myself mindlessly lingering, but as soon as I would catch myself, my very vicious mind would immediately go to Luca.

My wolf whined.

I knew she missed him, and in truth...I found that I missed him as well.

Luca with his brash and bold ways, and that appalling nickname of his, but still...what I wouldn't give to hear it right in this moment.

I hate how much I want him.

But what I hate even more than that, is the way his easy going lifestyle makes me look at my own.

Sure we both have pasts, but unlike him, I knowingly use humor to disguise the heartache that it took this long for my mate to come along. He on the other hand plays up his past...its both disgusting and impressive.

"What bothers you Chanel?"

I looked up into the warm coffee colored eyes of Vincent...oh Saint Vincent. When he isn't busy being an Alpha to his pack down in Texas, he's a doctor, yeah, a freaking doctor.

I gave him my best smile, "I'm fine, just thinking."

"About tonight?" He asked.

I nodded, "we should really be heading back, us girls take a while to get pretty."

He chuckled handsomely as he stood up, he held his hand out to Evalina and helped her from her seat before doing the same with me.

"I can hardly imagine what is left for the two of you to do as you are already so beautiful." He sounded.

I blushed and remained silent, I wouldn't want to ruin such a lovely compliment with a dimwitted response like 'thanks.'

You see that's where Luca and Vincent differ.

Where Luca forces me to face who I am.

Vincent makes me want to be better.

I know it's strange given I just met the man, but it's true. I sit straighter around him, I even think before I speak. On the car ride home I was grateful for the small interlude in conversation as Vincent asked Evalina about Cesare.

Once back in the safety of my bedroom I allowed myself a moment to breath, then I pulled out my phone.

I knew I didn't have to, but I felt like the polite thing would be to at the very least, tell Luca I would be attending my father's party with someone else. But as I pulled up my contacts I found myself staring down at his name, my finger hovering over the screen...

*knock knock*

I hit the home button before turning the phone off altogether. "Come in."

My father stepped into the room smiling from ear to ear. "How was your outing?"

I gestured for him to take a seat but instead he went over and leaned back against my old desk.

I took a seat on the edge of my bed, "it was good, the weather was a bit cold for my liking, but good none the less."

"And how do you feel about Vincent?"

"Dad" I sighed aloud.

"Chanel, you know I'm only thinking about your future, we both are."

I looked up at him questioningly, "who is 'we'?"

"Your grand father and I."

I drew my bottom lip between my teeth as I nodded. It was one thing for my dad to push me toward a suitor of his choice...it was another thing altogether for my grandfather to have a hand in this.

I've let down my father many times, but never my grandfather.

"Why Vincent?" I asked.

He smirked before crossing his arms, "why not, he is an extremely beloved Alpha, he's smart and has very minimal enemies."

Of course any father would want their daughter to be with a man such as Vincent. And no doubt me dating him would be a lovely new addition to my father's collection of allies.

"Of course, your mother would have adored him as well."

At this my head snapped up and I was pulled out of any and all thoughts.

My mother, my beacon of beauty. I never had the privilege of knowing her but she was adored by everyone who met her.

I couldn't help but wonder what my mother would think of Luca. Then a pain ran through my heart, what kind of mother would want their only child, their little girl, to be with a known playboy?

"Chanel?"

I couldn't find it in me to look at my father, "I can't do much, but I will promise that I won't just dismiss Vincent all together."

"I'm glad to hear it sweetheart, you don't know just how proud I am of you right at this moment."

He moved so fluidly as he made his way over to me, he kissed the top of my head and then exited my room.

I got up, there was only one person I could turn to now, someone I could count on.

I walked down the hall and knocked on her door, upon entry I found Evalina with a head full of curlers.

"Hey, what's up?" She asked as she looked at me from the reflection of her mirror, "why haven't you started getting ready?" She questioned as she dusted on a light layer of eyeshadow.

"I needed to talk to you."

She opened her tube of lipstick and nodded before she proceeded.

"Lina" I paused thinking how to phrase this "...Its about a guy."

She completely paused from putting on her lipstick. I looked at her through the mirror and watched as a slow toothy grin filled her face.

"I knew it." She slowly turned around from the vanity table and faced me full on now. "Miss 'I don't want a mate' has finally stumbled upon him haven't you...you've found your mate." She squealed before she jumped up, "I told you so."

Her words stung, I knew she said what she had in jest and on any given day I would simply roll my eyes and push on...but not now, right now I needed her to be serious and caring.

"Y-yeah" I choked back my tears, I knew telling anyone would be a mistake, I should've trusted my gut...i'm only glad that I didn't tell her it was Luca, imagine how she would've reacted then. "I just wanted to say that...uh, I gotta get ready, so, I'll see you down there."

I backed out of the room before she could say anything else.