Chapter 57: Liar

Mavis' pov

"Mavis, I really didn't know that she would pull this move. I only-" "What have you told her?" Hawks froze in the middle of my dorm. It was going to be evening already. My eyes were unfocused as I stared into nothing. My mind was a mess. Trying to sort everything out was so different when you try to think back to two years ago.

What did they do to get even the littlest of details from my past when they even got my nickname?

"What do you mean?" I turned my head to look up to Hawks. "She called-" thinking about my next words again, I pressed my lips in a thin line and turned my head again, looking at my wall. It's better if I don't tell him anything. He probably thinks nothing about what she called me, when I point it out he will know something doesn't sit right on me.

"How does she know me again?" Hawks was in the corner of my eye like a blur as I fixed my gaze on a dent in my wall. Weird, that wasn't there this morning...

"I told you, she found out about you because I was away from my hero work too many times."

Liar.

"Why me?"

"They saw you in action in the sports festival and want you to join me in my mission."

Liar.

"What were you doing when the infiltration happened?"

"I was at home, sleeping."

Liar.

Liar.

Liar.

My head pounded but I tried to suppress the annoying feeling as I turned my head towards Keigo again. "Well, looks like we are partners now." He hesitantly came towards me and I didn't budge. Waiting for what he would do next.

What he would lie about next. He answered my questions as if practiced. He shot them out without thinking too much. But his tone was careful, as he if was trying to not fuck something up.

He crouched down in front of me, while I sat on my bed. "You don't have to do this..."

"I know. But it's better than living in prison." I still need to figure out so much... Still have a promise in my way. And I still have to see and talk to so many people. I feel like I'm gonna puke.

Hawks scanned my face, but found nothing suspicious. Good. Let me feed you with something till I have what I need. Be occupied with something else. "I need to meet him in half an hour," He informed me and I nodded.

"Go ahead. I'm not much of an use right now. Mina wanted me to help her with something anyways." A lie. I just want to be alone...

"You know they will want to meet you someday, too?" Keigo asked slowly. As if I was a scared animal.

"You told them about me?" My brows rose and I didn't know what to do with this bird. Maybe kill him? Feed him to dogs? Keep his wings and sell them? Or keep it as a trophy?

"It wasn't like that. They-" "Stop it. You look ridiculous. Just... go away." He opened then closed his mouth, before opening the door to my balcony and flying away. Giving me a lasting look.