Chapter 16: Chicken Tender

Mavis' pov

I let out a sigh as I watched my energetic classmates talk about their morning and how they got recognized by people. It was the same for me on my way to school, but in my opinion, it was annoying as shit. Trying to talk to me in the morning isn't the best idea, but I tried to be as nice as possible. I just want my hero license, and being filmed while I punch reporters wouldn't do be any good.

The class went silent when our homeroom teacher came, without his bandages he finally does not look like a mummy anymore. He showed us how much offers we got for our internships, and I was at the top with 5.010 offers.

'Didn't know that so many agencies existed...'

"Todoroki got more offers than Bakugo?"

"That's the opposite from what they placed."

"Whoa, Mavis got over 5.000 offers?"

"Should have been obvious that she got the most. She placed first after all..."

Some students were sulking because of the lack of offers they got. Aizawa continued to talk about our code names, but I zoned it out.
Midnight came in to judge our selected code names, while Aizawa went in his sleeping bag.

'Why does he have the right to sleep and I don't ?'

I fiddled with the pen between my fingers while thinking over a hero name. I was debating on using my vigilante name or not. But 'Reaper' isn't really a hero like name. But I don't want to be really known as a hero. Can't I just stick with my name or stay nameless? I do have some people searching for me after all. It would do me no good to have friends or have my name and face spread widely.

I looked back to the front of the class when Bakugo announced us his name."King Explosion Murder." Forget what I said about Reaper, this name tops mine. 

I tried to stifle in my laugh while I watched him look at us seriously. How ridiculous.

"How about explosion boy?" Kirishima offered.

"Boom boom boy isn't bad either," I joined.
Kirishima and I started laughing when we met eyes, which made me not hear whatever Bakugo shouted at us.

The boy went back to his seat, mumbling something, and Iida went to the front this time. He said that he wants to go with his civilian name, and Midnight did not object.

Now, everyone except me and Bakugo had chosen a name.

I let out a sigh and leaned back in my chair, letting go of my pen.  'Might just do that, too'

~

My legs were dangling over a rooftop. It is a beautiful night again, so I went out to clear my head and maybe meditate.

When you hear someone walking, as example you mother, you immediately recognize the sounds. That is how I recognized the person walking up to me to sit down besides me. He may not be my mother, but he is someone that doesn't ask many questions, which makes his presence quite comfortable.

"What's up hot stuff,"

I never told him who I really am, but something in me tells me that he already knows. I do want to trust him, but a part of me just can't allow that.

"What's the matter kid?"

"Hm? What do you mean?"

"Normally you would call me 'chicken tender' ." He pointed out, looking down at the people who just exited a bar.

"I knew you liked that nickname." I made myself smile lightly behind my mask. I do feel stuffed behind this mask, but oh well.

"I have no complaints if you continue calling me 'hot stuff' though." He added after a second thought, grinning slightly.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, birdie." I rolled my eyes before making eye contact with him.

There was a short silence before he mustered up the courage to break it.  "I was thinking~"

"You can think?" I cut him off, and got smacked behind my head. "Ouch," I massaged the spot while watching him, so he continues. Calm down Mavis, this is what friends do with each other. You do this to others too.

"You never told me your name."

"No shit Sherlock." I retorted. "I don't know your real name, either, might just stick to this whole mystery thing that's going on."

It was silent after that, so I turned my head to watch the stars. After half a year, I should be able to lay back and enjoy my life for a second, no? Do I still need to be on my tiptoes around people? It's tiring.

Letting out a sigh, I removed my mask for the first time in front of him. Fresh air engulfing the lower part of my face. I breathed in fresh air deeply with a slight smile on my face. The man besides me watched me doing so, and for a second I thought about that one time men targeted me because I was alone and a girl on the streets. I tensed up slightly.

When I touched the side of my thigh lightly, I reluctantly eased back when I felt my dagger.

"You're Mavis, the girl who placed first in the UA sports festival." He recognized me.

"The one and only." I breathed out, reminding myself that I can still protect myself, even if it is a hero who is known for his speed.

"You were pretty good out there kid. I was thinking about offering an internship-"

"I thought you were one of those loner guys?" I cut him off, leaning forward to look him in his face. He scratched his right cheek lightly, smiling sheepishly.

"Yeah, I was just amazed with your quirk. Mind telling me what it is?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out. I would maybe tell you that if I get an internship offer from you." I playfully winked at him. I won't, but he doesn't need to know. It would be pretty fun if my internship is with him. He is a chill person and a great company.

"I think it's too late for that." He scratched the back of his neck, looking forward to the other buildings. I saw him tense up after a second.

"Hawks?" I reached my hand out to poke his arm, confused why his mood switched all of a sudden. But he stood up as quickly as his mood changed.

"Sorry kid, but I need to go." He didn't leave me any chance to response as he flee away.

'Strange...That is really strange.'

For a moment I thought about trailing after him, but the thought of even lifting a finger felt tiresome.

1120 words