Ch.3 Shattered Hearts

Ever since I was little I was in love with you.

There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't think about you. That I didn't admire your strength. How I longed to be someone you could lean on. I wanted to be like you, for you to rely on me, to be with you, but I guess I wasn't enough.

When did it start? Since the first time I saw you, as kids. I was supposed to be the next in line. Everyone expected great things from me, I was supposed to be the perfect heir. I must be strong, I must not let emotions control me, I must be intimidating, yet none of those things were me.

When I saw you, how the world treated you and yet you still stood up to them, I was in awe.  How did you do it? In front of everyone you put a smile on your face acting carefree when in reality you worked your butt off trying to become stronger. Though in my eyes you were the strongest person in the world. You had always been my only goal, and I thought it was amazing how you stood up for yourself.

You didn't let the fact that you had no family get to you. Although I could see your eyes when you saw the other kids going off with their parents, you were in pain. Yet I couldn't feel it.

Over the years I bettered myself for you so I could stand next to you. You had always been my goal. Maybe I was a bit too reliant on you.

That's probably why it hurts so much. 

I had nothing for myself...my everything is you.

And it all shattered that day.

——————

'Naruto's been working so hard the past few months. Maybe I should bring him something too eat. Oh! Shikamaru is also there, I'll pack some for him too.' She thought as she washed the dishes.

For some time Hinata has noticed some odd behavior from her husband. For the last 3-4 years he's always came home a bit late. Always saying that he has so much work piled up and it takes forever. But he barely complained and talked about himself. It wasn't like he was inattentive to her, he always asked her about her day, helped around when he could and they would chat like any good frie-married couple.

Thought lately he's been staying later than usual. Always an hour or so past midnight. 'He must be working hard.' Was always her initial thought.

She never suspected him. She trusted him.

Hinata put together some snacks for her husband, smiling. Thinking about how it would help his day. The children were already home and would be playing of doing what all kids do; reek havoc.

She put it all in a bento and tied it up neatly like a Christmas present. She added a little note just for fun. She thought it would be nice. She put on her jacket on and informed the kids that she would be back in few minutes. They waved her off and went back to doing whatever they were doing.

"It's was cold" She said to herself. She made her way to the Hokage's Tower and started to trail up the stairs. It was empty only few people here and there but none went past the top floor. She made her way through the dimly lit hallway, making her way to the Hokage's room.

She could see the bright light shining through the crack in between the doors. Hinata smiled thinking about how hard Naruto was working.

'He must be tired.' Before she opened the door it was an instinct to peek through before entering. Then she went pale.

"Hngh~ Your hitting it each time, slow down. Ah~"

That voice.