Ch.6 Nightmares

Sitting in our living room, Boruto and Himawari came downstairs playing and being brats like usual. Hinata was setting up breakfast for all of us. And I sat at the couch thinking about all the work that I would have to finish today. The mood seemed so happy and perfect. Yet, why does it still feel like I'm missing something.

"I love you too Naruto."

What was that?

That wasn't Hinata's voice, so who was it? Why does there voice sound so familiar? My thoughts came to a halt when I realized there was a weird murky chill in the air. I look and see my family staring at me giving me that scolding, terrible glare. It was like there eyes shined red when looking at me.

It felt like time had stoped and my family stood still and there eyes were glued on me. It reminded me of when I was little. The villagers, their glares, their whispers, all swarming my head. It was suffocating like I couldn't breathe. Then it really started to feel like I really couldn't breathe. My breathing was hitched and there was this inescapable weight on my chest.

I tried so hard to gasp for air yet I can't.

It felt like I was dying.

I turn to my family hoping that I can call out to them. That they could help me, but when I looked they stood in front of me in a row. They all stared down at me with those blood listed eyes. The room was dark. They looked at me and I tried to reach out to them for help but I still couldn't do anything. Then in sync the spoke.

"Why did you lie to us?"

No! That wasn't it! I never meant to!

"Why did you betray us?"

Please no! I would never!

"You finally showed your true colors"

W-what?

Then behind them there was the whole village. Everyone I had ever known, dead and alive. They looked down on me with the same glares.

"Monster!" "Demon child!"

Please stop! I'm not a monster!!

"You were the one to kill your own parents."

THAT'S NOT TRUE!!

Then suddenly they were all gone. I was finally away from all of them. I could finally breathe, that weight on my chest was gone. I started to look around as to where I was. I was on the ground in my office, on...my....knees? This seems so familiar.

As I look up I see Shikamaru standing in front of me.

"Shika!" I said happily, but as soon as a took a second look, I froze. That wasn't the face of the man that loves me. That wasn't him, right?

"S-Shika?" I called out to him again. He clicked his tongue at me and rolled his eyes.

"You really think I'd fall in love with a married man who's a disgusting monster?"

Instinctively I grabbed at his feet. "What are you talking about?" I asked him. He kicked my hands away.

"What a drag. How many times do I have to spell it out for you? I. Don't. Love. You."

His words broke my heart. That could never be true! Shikamaru said it to me himself!

"I will never love you and crying won't make me change my mind. So stop, it's irking to look at."

I stared up at him. Was I crying? I felt my cheeks and to my surprise they were wet. I was crying. When? I let the question slip my head and crawled closer to him grabbing at his feet again.