Chapter 8: Taking Flight

"You don't know how glad we are to see some friendly faces. Most folks don't want to get tangled up with anyone whose on the run from the Galra."

"So you guys are fighting Zarkon?" Phoebe asked as the group walked closer to the people who sent the distress beacon.

"Well I don't think Zarkon is exactly quaking in his boots at the three of us, but we do what we can. I'm Rolo, this is Nyma, and our cyber unit Beezer.", he introduced the three of them.

"Hi" Nyma greeted the Paladins, but Lance had already fallen head over heels at the beautiful alien.

"Hi, the name's Lance."

Pidge, on the other hand, fell in love with Beezer. "Cool robot!"

"Was your ship damaged in a fight?" Shiro asked Rolo.

"Yeah, we've really been through it with the Galra. Parts are hard to come by, but luckily we were able to land on this moon a week ago", Rolo explained," If you hadn't picked up our distress signal, I don't think we'd . . ."

"We are happy to help. I am princess Allura of Altea, and from now on you won't be alone in fighting the Galra", she introduced herself. "You'll have the paladins of Voltron by your side."

Rolo looked over at the green and blue paladins, who were still fooling around with their new friends.

"Okay?" Rolo said, confused.

"I don't think they've heard of us." Phoebe pointed out.

"Well, it has been ten thousand years." Keith added.

"Voltron? Six robot lions that combine into this one big robot, guy?" Lance tried to explain, but they had no idea what he was talking about.

"Sounds impressive, I'd love to see it . . . or him. Them." Rolo replied to Lance.

Why don't we just get to work on your ship? I'm sure we all have places to be." Hunk spoke up, irritated that they had to stop here.

"Sure." Rolo turned around and opened up a compartment in his ship. "Pretty much our whole flex and assembly was shot. I don't know what kind of extra parts you carry in this rig of yours, I've never seen anything quite like it."

Phoebe turned and looked back at Lance, who was showing off his muscles to Nyma. She slapped the back of his head, which quickly made him stop flirting.

"I'm sure we can get you back up and running," Allura reassured Rolo. "Give Hunk a list of what you need. Coran can show you where to find it."

"Okay" Hunk replied with a frown on his face.

"We'll go with you. Don't want you to have to carry all of that yourself. C'mon guys." Rolo began to walk towards the castle, but Hunk quickly stopped him.

"Uh, I don't think so. you can just wait out here."

"Hunk, don't be rude." Phoebe said to the yellow paladin.

"oh, I'm sorry. But does anyone remember the last time we let our defenses down? Someone kinda set off a bomb. Remember Lance, Phoebe?" He glanced over at the two. "You both were almost killed."

"Hunk's right." Shiro backed him up. " We have to be cautious."

"Hey, I don't take it personal. That's how it is out here, you gotta look out for your own." Rolo smiled at Hunk as he handed him the list. "You're doing a good job man."

. . .

"My planet was destroyed by the Galra, and I was taken captive." Rolo told his story to the paladins, minus Hunk who was doing repairs, near a campfire. "I managed to escape, but not before I lost something."