Chapter 6: Tears of the Balmera

"Wait, what is that noise?"

"Phoebe, Pidge, can you hear me?" Allura tried reaching the paladins over the communicator.

"Yeah, we hear you loud and clear."

"There isnt much time before they get the ship up and running again. You must shut off the particle barrier so we can get in.", Allura instructed Pidge and Phoebe, who remain hidden in the castle.

"You got it! What do we have to do?" Phoebe asked the princess.

"The particle generator is beneath the main hull." Allura went on to tell them how to access it.

Pidge and Phoebe followed her instruction and made their way to the particle generator.

"Woah.", Phoebe gasped as they entered a room with purple electricity glowing on the sides of their path.

"This technology is so advanced, I dont know if I can figure it out.", Pidge confessed to Allura and Phoebe.

"Yes you can. The lives of your fellow paladins are at stake, you cant give up!" Allura reassures the green paladin.

"You can't give up!"

Those words echoed in Phoebe's head. She remembered a time where she had almost had given up back at the garrison. Before the Kerberos mission, Phoebe was at the top of her class. She had applied herself and was doing great. However, she would often find herself discouraged. To go on a mission, she would need to improve her flying skills.

"You can do this!"

Shiro would say that to her as she practiced her flying techniques. He wasn't just a mentor to her, but a friend. He helped her to improve her skills until she was finally able to pass the test. That test determined her place on the Kerberos team.

"Don't give up!"

He screamed that to her as he was taken away by the Garla. That was the last time she saw him, before joining team Voltron. Even when in prison, he would try his best to inspire and protect her.

"Ok, talk me through it Allura."

Phoebe broke out of her flashbacks as Allura explained to Pidge what needed to be done.

"Shutting the barrier down from this room can be dangerous. Remember, the barrier is also a weapon. So stay away from the energy arcs."

"Don't touch the giant lightning bolts, got it." Phoebe nodded as she looked at the arcs.

"Now what I'm going to need you two to do is . . ."

Allura was interrupted by Sentries who entered and began shooting at Phoebe and Pidge. They both ran, trying to avoid the blasts.

"Pidge? Phoebe? Are you there?"

They both ran to the end of walkway, each of them hiding behind the railing. Pidge sent Rover to examine the area around them, but the Sentries began shooting at him too.

"What are you doing?", Phoebe asked as she saw Pidge looking at a screen.

"Our only way out is two floors up? Seriously!?" Pidge yelled in disbelief. "Let's try this . . .". Pidge tapped on the screen and created a hologram.

The hologram of Pidge ran out of hiding and got shot at by a Sentry. However, the shot went through the hologram and hit one of the arcs. The arc started to act out, zapping some of the Sentries.

While the Sentries were distracted, Phoebe and Pidge activated their bayards and ran around the Sentries. As they ran, Phoebe tried to turn around and shoot at them with her bayard.