Chapter 3 - Family Dinner

The next day I was sitting at my desk trying to make some progress on the mountain of paperwork I had (but not really making any) when my phone rang.

I glanced at the caller id and saw it was my mother. I wasn't really in the mood to talk to her but I knew that if I didn't answer she would just keep calling until I did.

"Hello mum" I said down the phone perhaps a little too chirpy.

"Morning sweetheart, how are you?" She responded

"Look mum I'm at work right now and can't really talk would it be ok of I called you later" I asked knowing full well that if I answered a simple question like how are you while talking to my mother I would be on the phone for hours most likely talking about Jacksons most recent hockey game and how amazing he was.

"Don't worry darling I won't take up much of your time" she began I lent back in my chair knowing that I was in for a long conversation.

She started talking again before I could get a word in edgeways "your aunt Linda and Uncle Jack are in town the next few days and I was thinking it would be rather nice if we could have a nice family meal" she told me.

Great I thought to myself now I have to spend time with the people who care more about my brother and a hockey career he hasn't even started yet than me who had been working my ass of for 6 years trying to help the city I cared so much for.

"I don't know mum," I began hoping she wasn't going to shout at me for what I was about to say "I can try and make it but I can't make any promises as we might get a case"

"OK, as long as you try your hardest to make it thats not a problem, I'll hopefully see you at home tonight at 8" and with that she hung up

She took that a lot better than expected I told myself as I turned back to my mountain of paperwork.

I spent the rest of the day working on the admin I had to do with some help from Avery. Every cop in the city would agree that this is the dull part of police work.many people don't realise that yeah we catch bad guys but we are also filling out endless case reports.

I got back to my apartment at 6:30pm. I walked in and put my badge and gun away and headed towards the shower, I lingered in the kitchen for a bit realising it still smelt of burnt cupcakes from yesterday.

I took a nice warm shower and braided my hair and put on an outfit that my parents,aunt and uncle would find acceptable (they were the kind of people that didn't like any clothes that showed too much of a particular body part be it legs arms or shoulders.)

This is what I wore (without the skull necklace)

_________________________________________

I parked my SUV outside of my childhood home at around 8:30 "not too bad" I told myself, although I wasn't planning on telling my mum that I actually finished early today and that I was late because I got distracted listening to music again.

I climbed the steps to the front door but before I could ring the bell the door was flung open and I greeting by my aunt Linda.

"Bailey-Jay, how nice of you to join us" she said looking kind of annoyed that I was late

"Sorry I'm late Aunt Linda" I told her hurriedly not wanting to piss her off even more "we picked up a case this afternoon and I couldn't just leave during the middle of it" It always amazed me how gullible my aunt actually was. in truth we had no case all day but she didn't need to know that.

I entered the house and made my way into the living room where my mother,uncle,brother and sister were sat. I could tell by the look on Alanas face that she didn't want to be there anymore that I did but we both knew that we had no choice and had to stay until the end of the night.

"Wheres dad?" I ask to the room at large

"Oh he's at work, got a few open cases he needs to get done" my mother replies smiling. My dad was a lawyer and a very good one I might add and he would quite often stay late working on cases.

"So I'm expected to drop everything and come to a family dinner but when dad can't make it thats OK is it?" I shoot at mother

"Dont talk to your mother like that" my aunt says "and anyway your father works incredibly hard for this family, you should take a leaf out of his book and get a proper job in an office, not one where your running around shooting at people all day long"

I choose not to argue back to my aunt i knew all too well what her views were of my job and could do without the lecture on why I should not be a cop.

The evening seemed to drag on for hours my aunt and uncle were questioning my brother and mum about hockey and how it was going. My brother loved all the attention always did but both Ally and I hated it he was the baby of the family and was so obviously favoured over both of us.

Eventually my mother announced it was time for dinner so we all made our way through to the dining room.we ate in silence for most of the meal until it was halfway through dessert when Uncle Jack decided it was a good idea to ask me about my career.

"So Bailey-Jay, hows work going?"this simple statement earned him a dirty look from my aunt.

I was shocked thatv he was suddenly interested in my job "oh I erm.... its going well I guess, we've solved some pretty big cases the last few months and got some big names off the steets" I tell him careful not to reveal too much of the case because the one we worked on before the bowling alley case with Intelligence had managed to take a big gang boss of the streets and only those involved knew he ahead been arrested.

"See here's the problem...." he began I already knew what was coming but kept my mouth shut "you and your police pals work your asses off all the time to put bad guys away right?".

"Right" I answered "but then then your father and his brilliant colleagues defend all the people you idiots at the CPD say are guilty of a crime." I could feel my temper rising with every word he said but he was far from finished.

"And I think its stupid that you get a job where you are looking at dead bodies and running into gunfire everyday, you basically have a deathwish if you ask me"

And that was when I lost it. I rose to my feet and yelled at him

"YOU DONT THINK I KNOW MY JOB IS DANGEROUS,YOU THINK I WANT TO GET SHOT,I DO THIS JOB FOR THE SAME REASON AS EVERY OTHER COP IN THE COUNTRY,WE DO THIS JOB BEACAUSE WE LOVE IT AND LOVE HELPING PEOPLE.HAVE YOU EVER SEEN TO LOOK OF RELIEF ON A PERSONS FACE WHEN WE TELL THEM THAT WE CAUGHT THE MANIAC THAT KILLED THER KID.HAVE YOU?? BECAUSE THAT IS WHY WE DO THIS JOB TO HELP FAMILIES AT THERE DARKEST HOUR AND GIVE THEM SOME KIND OF RELIF THAT THE IDIOT THAT HURT THEM HAS GONE AWAY FOR A LONG TIME."

I had never seen the furious look in my mothers eyes before she looked like she was about to say something, but before she could I pushed my chair back from the table downed the rest of my wine and stormed out of the house.