Chapter Fourteen- Promises.

~Trevin's point of view~

It's Sunday. I decided that I'd get out of the house. I drive across town to the outside mall. I was just tired of being cooped up in the apartment. I go stir crazy there alone. I make it to the mall. I get out and start walking around. I see Luke. Then I see her. He stops, pulls her to him, and kisses her. She looks happy. He makes her happy; I shouldn't interfere with that; I stand and watch them; the kiss stops. He puts his arm around her, and they head into a jewelry store.

Luke told me he was proposing to Bridgette. He probably wanted her opinion on what to get. Serenity knows everything about Bridgette. Again, if roles were reversed, I'd probably have Bridgette here with me. I had to laugh at him when he told me Serenity said she didn't love him enough to marry him. She loves him but not enough to take that step. That also made me incredibly happy.

I'm not one to purposely hurt women. Most of the ones that I have been with knew what they were getting up front. Serenity was the only one that I had ever done that way. I don't even know why I did it. I knew when I saw her sitting at her desk that first day that I wanted her in my life. I shouldn't have played games with her. I can't go back and change it. I hurt her more than I've ever hurt anyone. Ever. I have to live with that.

I go back to my car and go home.

~Serenity's point of view~

Luke has been really sweet about this whole thing. He asked if he and Bridgette could have Saturday off. He took her out on a date last night. He told her he was taking me on one today. She was overly happy about it and made plans with Shane. I thought it was just his plan for us to go get her ring.

It wasn't.

He was gone for a bit this morning. He called on his way home and said to be ready. Bridgette and I got the whole morning alone together. We haven't had that in months. I got ready and was waiting when he got there. He came in and kissed Bridgette. Then we left.

As soon as we get in the car, his hand goes to my leg. I thought we'd go straight to the jewelry store. When I realized that we weren't going in the direction of the mall, I got confused.

Serenity: "Luke, where are we going?"

Luke: "I promised you a date."

Serenity: "I thought that was an excuse to go get her ring."

Luke: "No, Babe. This isn't just Bridgette and me. I mean it when I tell you that I love you."

Serenity: "I don't doubt you, Luke. I don't expect you to treat us the same."

Luke: "I will never treat you any different than her."

I let it go from there. I can't tell him how to feel or act.

I've always been honest with him. I do love him; I am in love with him. I don't and can't love him like I did Trevin.

Luke: "I see you stressing, Babe. Don't. I knew what I was getting into. I want it this way. I want you exactly how you are."

We stop at a red light; he leans over and kisses me. I fight not to let the tears fall. He's been extremely sweet and very supportive through everything. I don't deserve to have him in my life.

Serenity: "Really, Luke?"

I burst out laughing. I saw where he had pulled into.

Luke: "Why not?"

Serenity: "We're grown adults."