Leave Out All The Rest (Chester Bennington x Reader)

Warning: Mentions of depression

Song: Leave Out All the Rest by Linkin Park

Thought I'd do one of these since Chester would've been 45 this month...

******

You were depressed, and that was the easy way to put it. You could barely wake up in the morning, and you hated to even look at yourself in the mirror. Occasionally your best friend could get you out of the house, and you'd feel a little better, but since he was on tour a lot with his band, you didn't see him much.

Chester had just come back from tour, and he had called to ask if he could come over, and, of course, since you were especially sad today and could use his company, you said yes. You knew he was most likely on his way the minute you hung up the phone, and looked around the house. It was messy, but you didn't have the energy to even change that morning, much less clean the house. You knew Chester wouldn't care, but you really didn't want to look lazy, so you at least tidied up the living room a bit.

When you had finished, you heard the doorbell rang, and you felt butterflies in your stomach. You never understood why you got butterflies every time Chester was near, but you just brushed it off and told yourself it was just because you were excited to see him.

That was it, right?

You made your way over to the door and opened it, immediately getting smothered in one of Chester's awesome hugs.

"I missed you." He said.

"Aww, I missed you, too." You Said. "How've you been?"

"Alright." He said. "How about you?"

He looked around the house a bit, noticing how all of the curtains were drawn and how dark it was, then looked back at you. "You okay?"

You bit your lip, and hesitantly shook your head.

He nodded a bit, a sad and worried expression on his face, and smiled a bit. "Well, let's get you outside." He said. "It's warm out, and perfect for a walk."

"Chester...I really don't want to be rude," You Said. "But I don't know if I'm in the mood for a walk today."

He nodded. "I get it." He said. "Do you want to do something else?"

"Well...you can come sit down." You Said.

He followed you into the house, and you both sat on the couch, and there was silence for a few moments. You looked up at him at the same time he looked up at you, and he cleared his throat.

"So...you wanna talk about it?" He asked.

You looked down. "I've just been...not so great." You Said. "I don't know why.."

Tears filled your eyes, and you blinked them back, sniffling a bit. "I really could use another hug."

Without hesitation, and he pulled you closer and hugged you tightly, allowing you to bury your face in his chest as you cried silently.

"I don't know what's wrong with me.." you sobbed. "Why can't I be happy?"

"Hey...nothing's wrong with you.." he said. "Sometimes you're just sad. I promise you, it'll get better."

You took a deep breath, and nodded. "I hope so."

There was silence again as you just hugged, then Chester spoke.

"I...wrote you a song." He said.

You looked up at him. "Really?" You Asked. "Can I hear it?"

"Now? I...don't have any instruments.."

"Please?" You Asked.

He bit his lip, and, since he couldn't deny you and your puppy dog eyes, he nodded.

He took a deep breath, then started singing.

"I dreamed I was missing, you were so scared. But no one would listen, cause no one else cared. After my dreaming, I woke with this fear, what am I leaving when I'm done here? So if your asking me I want you to know.."

You leaned your head on his shoulder, and he smiled, then continued.

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done, help me leave behind some reason to be missed. Don't resent me, and when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory, leave out all the rest, leave out all the rest."

He looked down at you again, and realized that you fell asleep.

That was quick, he thought.

He stood up and looked around for a blanket, and after he found one, he covered you up with it, then sat back down next to you. Still asleep, you cuddled up against him for warmth, and he smiled.

"I love you, Chester." You whispered in your sleep.

"I love you, Y/N." He whispered back.

********

R.I.P Chester Bennington