chapter 14

"Bring in the prisoners." Clouse announced. The inner temple was filled with chants and worshipers. Torches were lit and the captured fighters were taken down the steps to the platform.

"So the ninja were right. This was never about any of us winning the tournament. This was always about something sinister." Griffin said, struggling in his chains.
"What gave that away? Was it his cult following, or the giant snake head?" Shade roled his eyes.

"We've been fighting each other for so long, it took us all losing to finally pull us together." Neuro said. Jay started humming, dreamily.
"Too bad it's too late." Neuro sighed.

Kai glared back at Jay.
"Why are you humming? You do know they're about to take our powers?" He snapped.
"Since these cursed shackles have blocked our powers, I choose to use the power of positive thinking." Jay replied.
"Lloyd and Morro will come save us. You just wait."

The fighters were pushed down on their knees as they reacher the platform. Kai looked up as Skylor turned away.
"Go ahead and look away, but you know as well as I do after he takes our powers, he's still gonna need yours." Kai said, narrowing his gaze.
"You don't understand. My father gets everything he wants. I had no choice." Skylor said back.

"Just tell me one thing." Kai started.

"Was it his idea to make me fall for you, or yours? Because it worked."

Skylor silently gasped. She felt the need to blush, but it didn't seem like the time.

"Look at me. I'm floating!" Chen exclaimed, levitating his chair as he swooped down from the sky. The gravity turned up just a moment and Chen dropped.
"I got it, I got it." He said, catching himself.
"I just got distracted by how awesome this place looks. Well done, Clouse. You've really set the mood. And look at this. Soon, I'll have more power. It's good to be me." Chen spined around.

"You may have us, but you still don't have Lloyd and Morro!" Jay exclaimed.
"Ah, yes. I bet right now they'll swoop down to save you in the very last moment and teach me a valuable lesson. Well, I'll wait. I love lessons." Chen jumped onto his chair.

There was a moment of quiet.
"Any minute now." Jay called.
"That's enough. I'm bored." Chen stood up from his chair.
"But here's a lesson: don't be a sore loser. Only one can remain!" He raised his staff, a pale blue icy wind coved the elemental masters.

They call cried out in pain as their feet were lifted off the ground. Colourful auras spilled out of the masters and into the crystal in the staff of elements.
"The power is mine. All mine!" Chen yelled.
"He never came..." Jay said, staring down.

"Take them to the factory!" Chen yelled.
"Father, please, spare Kai." Skylor stepped forwards.
"I've seen inside his head. He's different. He can help you." She pleaded.
"You like the boy, don't you? If it will make you happy. Leave the red one." Chen commanded. Kai's chains were taken off his hands as the rest were taken away. Kai glared at Skylor and Chen. He felt unsure of what to do.

. . .

Nya, Lloyd, Morro and Garmadon peered over the walls at Chen's temple.
"Lloyd, you need to destroy that staff. I'll help the best I can but... It'll be up to you." Morro said.
"He knows I'm coming. But I can't just hide here and do nothing." Lloyd said.
"We have to wait until nightfall. There's too many." Nya said.
"And then what?" Lloyd asked.
"Every minute we're out here, he grows more powerful and--"

"Son, Chen grows strong by taking from others. But real power does the opposite. It empowers those around you. Like the way you've empowered me. We will get you to Chen, and you will destroy his staff." Garmadon reassured.