Chapter 2 ~ Goodbye and Welcome Home

“You ready to go Sweetie?” my mom asked as the cab driver put my luggage into the trunk of the typical cab.

Apparently as soon as that Mary girl left the room and the principles and my mom came back in shooing everyone away before telling me that I was in fact getting transferred to a different prestigious private school in our city that was already a few weeks into their first semester. So I guess that Mary girl was right after all I was getting kicked out. 

So about a week after I was released from the schools hospital the school just packed up my stuff and was shipping me off. But because I couldn’t remember anything about who I was and my mom’s work had to do with things I couldn’t know unless I remembered I had to go live with my dad. Which he so happened to live just a few minutes away from the new school I was being transferred to. Coincidence I think not. 

I could also come and see her on the weekends if I wanted because my dad didn’t live that far away from my mom probably from what I was told he only lived like a good 30 minute drive away. But from what my mom had told me I haven’t seen my dad since the divorce I don’t know why I just haven’t and well I was kind of excited to finally see him again.  

“Yes mom.” I sighed. 

“Good now remember you behave for your father and do your memory exercises every day and if you remember anything you tell me alright.” The doctor, when I left the hospital a few days ago, gave me some memory exercises to do to see if I could remember. She said the only way they are going to work is if I do them every day for at least 30 minutes. And my friends had taken the liberty of helping me with those exercises every day since my release from the hospital. 

It was nice of them but it was like I was taking this test and I failed every single time I answered a question because I was always wrong. It was like they were just expecting this person that they knew to come back in a second and when I answered a question wrong I just couldn’t stand the look of disappointment their faces, especially Robin. I was his girlfriend, supposedly, and I couldn’t even answer what was the first song we danced to or what we did on our first date. I felt awful when I saw that look of loss and pity and to be honest it sucked. Big time. 

It sucked even more when there were these tiny moments when it was like when you have this word or this name of this song, a band, or a movie name and it was at the tip of your tongue or at the front of your mind but it just won’t come out. And that no matter how are you try the name just won’t come to you. I hated that, I hated those moments where a memory or name of something or someone came to me like it wanted to just burst through the amnesia and come to me but it was just locked up in some safe that I couldn’t have the code to. This whole situation just flat out sucked! I just want to remember everything already but my mind wouldn’t let me!

But at least for now I could have a break from those disappointed faces and start a new with my dad. And who knows maybe this time away will give my mind the break it needs to allow my memory to come back to me, “Yes mom.”

“Okay,” she smiled before hugging me tightly, “I’m gonna miss you so much Sweetie!”

“Me too mom. I’ll see you in about two weeks when I come and visit on the weekend so don’t worry too much alright.”

“Sweetie don’t you know a mother always worries about her children.” 

“Of course mom.” I chuckled letting her go. When I looked behind her there were all of my friends. 

“Go on say a quick goodbye and then it’s time to go.” 

“Yes mom.” I nodded and quickly walked over to them.