Laryngitis

S1x18~LARYNGITIS
••••••
"I'm very disappointed in you guys." Mr. Schue said during the beginning of another week. He stood in front of the group holding a list of names that Rachel had given him.

"I can't believe you narced on us." Finn said, causing Rachel to scoff.

"Don't get mad at me for exposing your laziness. I'm tired of carrying all of your weight." Rachel replied, as Haley rolled her eyes. "Regionals are in a month, guys."

"I've been singing along with the warm ups. It's not just you carrying the weight." Haley spat, sending Rachel a glare.

"I'm just trying to understand what's going on here." Mr. Schue said. "Finn, why did you stop singing?"

"Cause you started giving all the male leads to Jesse." Finn retorted. "It kind of shook my confidence."

"Welcome to the club." Haley muttered sarcastically. "Now you know how the rest of the group feels when we receive no recognition or solos." At this point, she didn't care. She was unsatisfied with the unfair treatment and favoritism. "You know? I speak for all of the unheard members of this group when we say, we would love to be considered for solos or duets. Instead it's the 'Starring Rachel Berry Glee Club'."

"What difference does it make?" Santana said. "Everyone knows that my job here is to look hot."

"My baby hormones are making me moody." Quinn mumbled, unimpressed with the conversation.

"There are so many lyrics." Brittany added, clearly confused.

"Okay. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. A glee club is about a myriad of voices coming together as one, alright? This ends now." Mr. Schue decided. "Which is why your assignment for the week is for each of you to come up with a song that best represents how you see yourself, where you see your lives right now. Your voice. Then you're going to stand up here and sing your hearts out. All of you."

"Solos?" Kurt asked. "In front of everyone?"

"The Glee Club has lost its voice." Mr. Schue said, with a nod towards Kurt. "It's time for us to get back at it."
-------
"Alright, guys." Mr. Schue said during their next glee lesson. "Let's get things started."

Rachel made her way to the front of the room, rather speedily. "As I was the first on the sign-up sheet, I'll kick things off."

"Okay."

"I have chosen Miley Cyrus/s The Climb because it's about overcoming obstacles and beating the odds. Rachel glared at everyone, as she spoke. "In my case, the obstacle is you, my lackluster teammates who refuse to carry their own weight."

"That's not even remotely an obstacle." Haley pointed out with a know-it-all attitude.

The music began, and Rachel began to sing. Expecting her normal but talented voice to come out, a shrill voice came out instead. Everyone was surprised, as they wore shocked expressions, some of them cringing. Haley wanted to laugh hysterically, but she refrained, and chose to wear a cringed expression. Mr. Schue interjected and walked up to Rachel when the band stopped the music.

"Rachel. I think you've lost your voice."
-------
Finn was surprisingly taking the assignment this week very seriously. He stood singing Jessie's Girl clearly dedicating it to Rachel who sat uncomfortably. Haley had to admit it was secondhand embarrassment for the other members of the New Directions. They weren't the ones in that awkward position, being sung to in a full crush confession, knowing they were already dating another person.

"Nice work. Now that, that is the kind of soul-exposign song I was talking about." Mr. Schue praised Finn, as he clasped him on the back. "We should all be inspired by Finnn's bravery. Good job, buddy."

Finn nodded at Mr. Schue before he took a seat, sending Rachel one last glance. Before anyone could volunteer to sing next or say anything, Puck walked to the front.

"Mr. Schue, can I sing my song now?" He asked.

"Yeah. Let's go for it, Puck." The teacher nodded.

After receiving the go ahead, Puck walked towards the door, and opened it revealing some people. Haley frowned, confused with where he was going with the number. It wasn't until Mercedes spoke that they all knew something was going awry.

"What are they doing here?" Mercedes asked.
"I invited my brothers from the jazz band and their righteous horns to help me out with my song. Since I shaved my mohawk I started seeing things differently. Last week I joined a black church." Puck began.

"A little racist...the last part I mean." Haley muttered.

"And I recently downloaded every song Sammy Davis, Jr ever recorded on ITunes. He was a balck Jew, you know, and my inspiration. So without further ado, I give you one of Sammy's biggest hits." Puck finished before the music began. As he sung The Lady is a Tramp, he managed to get Mercedes into it, and the two enjoyed themselves, singing and dancing around the room. Haley smiled at her friend who was seemingly having fun. She looked over at Santana who looked rather jealous. She wore an annoyed expression, and kept her arms crossed.

"Oh, boy...the drama's just beginning." Haley whispered to Quinn, who nodded.
-------
Haley and Quinn approached Mercedes at her locker after Glee that day. Before the girls could say anything, she spoke up.

"Look, Quinn,  I could never see myself... being into a guy like Puck, especially since he's your baby's daddy, but...something just happened between us." Mercedes said to the blonde.

"I say go for it." Quinn shrugged, as Mercedes sent her a surprised look.

"What?"

"Look. I screwed up by letting Puck get me pregnant. He's an idiot, and his mother won't let me eat bacon. I'm stuck living with him right now, but at least, if you guys are dating, I won't have to spend
so much time listening to his insane theories... on how Super Mario Brothers changed civilization." Quinn ranted.

"But you do realize he's using you and your popularity...so he won't get tossed in a Dumpster." Haley stepped in, feeling that she should add into the conversation.

"I know he's using me, but in a way, it's even better. I'm not you. I've never had a guy like me for anything, but now I'm such a steaming mug of hot chocolate... that one of the studliest guys in school wants to use me to harvest some mojo." Mercedes replied.

"I mean I haven't really had a proper guy." Haley corrected her friend, before snapping back into her senses. "We just don't want you getting hurt."

"I know what this is. My heart's safe." Mercedes began.

"Oh, I'm not worried about your heart. I might be okay with this, but not even Puck...is going to be able to call off Santana." Quinn said.
"Wait...you think that she might...try to..." Mercedes trailed off, as Haley and Quinn exchanged worried glances.

"We can't say for sure...but Santana will stop at nothing to get what she wants." Quinn spoke up after a few moments.

"She's an ambitious badass and quite the warrior." Haley added.
--------
"Mr. Schue?" Haley raised her hand during another meeting that week. "May I have the floor?"

"Yes, go ahead." He nodded, as she walked to the front of the room, and let out a shaky breath.

"Thank you." Haley said. "Okay, y'all. I'm usually not vulnerable...but sometimes you have to be. So, here's some vulnerability and honesty. This song has resonated with me for a while now, with every adversity I've faced, and the difficulty at home. And now with the sexual assault, it's been on repeat in my house, and I've added to my song repertoire. I'm going to stop rambling now...and hum, get started." Haley finished, as she sat herself down at the piano, and nodded at the band.

{SKYSCRAPER-SUNG BY HALEY ALDRIN}-(yes this song didn't come out till 2011, but bear with me)

Skies are crying, I am watching
Catching teardrops in my hands
Only silence as it's ending
Like we never had a chance
Do you have to make me feel like
There's nothing left of me
You can take everything I have
You can break everything I am
Like I'm made of glass
Like I'm made of paper
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground
Like a skyscraper
Like a skyscraper
As the smoke clears, I awaken
And untangle you from me
Would it make you feel better
To watch me while I bleed?
All my windows still are broken
But I'm standing on my feet
You can take everything I have
You can break everything I am
Like I'm made of glass
Like I'm made of paper
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground
Like a skyscraper
Like a skyscraper
Go run, run, run
I'm gonna stay right here
Watch you disappear, yeah, ooh
Go run, run, run
Yeah it's a long way down
But I am closer to the clouds up here
You can take everything I have
You can break everything I am
Like I'm made of glass
Like I'm made of paper, ooh
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground
Like a skyscraper
Like a skyscraper
(Like a skyscraper)
Like a skyscraper
Like a skyscraper