The Rhodes Not Taken

S1x5: The Rhodes Not Taken
•••••••
After Rachel had quit the Glee Club, the solo had been given to Quinn. Haley watched as Quinn and Finn sang lead in Don't Stop Believin'. She thought everything was going smoothly. That was until Quinn stopped suddenly, her eyes widening.

"Quinn, you okay?" Mr. Schue asked, as Quinn ran out of the room, holding a hand to her mouth.

Everyone in the room exchanged confused glances, while most of them wore frowns on their faces. Haley sighed, arguing with herself whether she should run after Quinn or not. She snapped out of her thoughts when Finn spoke up.

"I think she just had a bad breakfast burrito." He said, as everyone looked at him.

"Those breakfast burritos can be bitch." Haley commented.

"Can we please talk about the giant elephant in the room?" Kurt asked, rolling his eyes.

"Your sexuality?" Santana asked, her eyebrow raised. Kurt decided to ignore her, as he continued.

"Rachel. We can't do it without her."

"That's not true." Mr. Shue said, shaking his head. "We may have to layer Santana and Mercedes over Quinn's solo but... We'll be fine."

"The negativity in this room ain't decreasing." Haley spoke up, as Santana snickered.

"Maybe for the Invitationals, but not for the Sectionals and certainly not the Regionals." Artie said.

"The wheelchair kid's right. That Rachel chick wants to make me light myself on fire, but she can sing." Puck nodded.

"I'm sick of hearing you guys lower the temperature to a freakin a hundred degrees celsius. Why can't you acknowledge that Quinn has talent. You guys bellyache and complain about Berry getting every single solo, and now that she's poofed into thin air, you are still fixated on her, not being able to shine again? Geez? Make your damn minds up." Haley explained, aggravated, as she stormed out of the room, Santana and Brittany right on her tail.

"Rachel left, guys. She's gone. If we want to make this thing work, we can't look back. Alright, take five minutes." Mr. Schue spoke up after Haley had stormed out.
------
Mr. Schue stood in front of the kids. A blonde woman around his age, stood beside him. "Guys, I'd like to introduce you to someone very special. This is April Rhodes. She's our newest member."

April smiled, quite enthusiastically at the group. Haley kept a raised eyebrow, a little confused.

Finn was also confused. "Wait, so old people can join Glee Club now?"

"Old, huh? You guys look like the world's worst Benetton ad." She scoffed.

Artie raised his hand, after a moment of awkward silence. "Mr Schuester, this seems like a terrible idea."

"April is a great singer. And she never graduated." Mr Schue said.

"We appreciate what you're trying to do, but she's no Rachel." Mercedes shook her head.

"You guys and your unhealthy and implausible Rachel obsession." Haley commented, rolling her eyes.

"Who's Rachel?" April asked.

"Sh....She's kind of our star." Tina answered.

"Your star, eh? Well, where is she?" April asked in a slight mocking tone.

"She left. to be the lead in Cabaret." Kurt explained.

April turned to the piano player, who Haley assumed was named Brad. " Hey, Tinkles, give me "Maybe This Time" in B flat. And don't let me catch you snoozing."