Mashup

S1x8~MASHUP
•••••
"This is a disaster. Our reputation as McKinley High's "it" couple is in serious jeopardy... if we don't find some way to be cool again, Finn." Quinn hissed at Finn, as she cleaned him up.

"What are you looking at, dwarf?" Haley spat at Rachel who watched Finn and Quinn enviously.

"The slushie war has commenced." Kurt commented.

Mercedes spoke up next. "And if Finn and Quinn got nailed, none of us are safe."

At that moment, Mr. Schue entered the choir room. "Okay, guys. We're a little behind for sectionals... thanks to our Sue Sylvester detour. But you guys seem to really enjoy doing mash-ups, right?And I'm gonna keep you guys fired up. Plus, there's an important lesson to be learned with mash-ups. Sometimes things are so different, they don't feel like they go together. But the big difference between them is what makes them great. Like... chocolate and bacon."

Finn shrugged. "Or Glee Club and football."

"Exactly. But you've proven that it's a great combination. So..." Mr. Shue continued as he smiled and distributed sheet music. "Here is... my personal favorite song. Here is... my personal favorite song. And your homework for the week is to find an unexpected mash-up to go with it."

"Bust a Move..." Kurt said aloud as he read the sheet music..

"Yeah, this song is old school." Haley commented.

"All right. Um, Artie." Mr. Schue said.

"Yeah?" Artie asked.

"Try to follow along on the bass." Mr. Schue directed.

"Yes. Yes." Artie nodded, moving to the instruments.

"Finn, take us through it."

"Uh, I'm sorry, Mr. Schuester. I got corn syrup in my eye." Finn apologized, as Quinn continued wiping the excess syrup from his eyes.

Mr. Schue turned to Puck. "Okay. Uh, Puck. How about it?"

Puck shook his head. "I don't really groove on Young MC."

"I am shocked at the lack of leading-man ambition in this room right now." Rachel said dramatically, as Haley rolled her eyes.

"Why don't you get up and show us how the male lead is done Berry?" Haley asked sarcastically, as Rachel crossed her arms.

"Okay, Haley... It's okay, Rachel. I guess I'm gonna have to show these guys how it's done." Mr. Schue said, as he looked at the band. "Bust it!"

{BUST A MOVE-SUNG BY WILL SCHUESTER & NEW DIRECTIONS}
-------
Mr. Schue entered the choir room then the next meeting. "So... any ideas for the mash-up?" He asked. Everyone sat down, and exchanged glances.

"Anybody? No?" Oh, come on, guys! It's like you're daring me to start dancing." Mr. Schue frowned.

"Oh dear god no." Haley shook her head disapprovingly, causing everyone to laugh.

Puck spoke up. " I've been working on something." He said, as he strapped his guitar on.

"Oh, yeah?"

"It's my personal tribute to a musical Jewish icon." Puck nodded.

"Uh, fantastic. Let's hear it." Mr. Schue said, letting him have the floor, as he sat down.

{SWEET CAROLINE-SUNG BY NOAH PUCKERMAN}

Haley noticed that he had actually dedicated his song entirely to one annoying Rachel Berry. Haley scoffed, a little disgusted at the dedication and Puck in general. She was the only one out of the girls who weren't making heart eyes for him. However, she clapped for him along with everyone else once he was finished.
-------
Finn and Quinn were walking down the hallway together, both of them wearing sunglasses. Trying to uphold their status, and get back to the top of the so-called food chain.

"Huh! You know, I really think this is working. I think we look super cool." Finn was the first to speak.

" I'm proud of you, Finn. I'm proud of us." Quinn replied.

"Yeah. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be popular. It just means you want people to like you. I think that's healthy." Finn said.

"I totally agree. Finn : Being popular just means you can have it all." Quinn sighed in satisfaction.

Several football players walked toward the couple with slushies. Finn was surprisingly not worried."

"Oh, hey, guys." Finn smiled, unbothered, as the football players crowded around them.

"You thirsty?" Azimio asked.

"Sure. Thanks." Finn nodded, instantly regretting his answer.

All players threw their cups of slushies in their face. Finn was furious. "You can't do this!" Finn said angrily.

"Oh, you think that's bad? Just imagine what's gonna happen if you don't show up to practice on Thursday... and quit that little Glee Club for good! Bros before hi-hos, dude. Don't forget that." Azimo said, before he and the other football players walked off, laughing.

All players go leaving Quinn and Finn shocked.

Haley was walking from the other end of the corridor. She sighed, as she saw them both soaked.

"Let me guess, the sunglasses are a key to raising your status again?" She said, as Quinn nodded.

"Miss Pillsbury suggested them." Quinn shrugged.

"Oh honey." Haley shook her head, pulling Quinn with her. "Let's get you cleaned up."

"What about me?" Finn asked, as Haley threw him an extra towel from her bag.

"Sorry Finn, Quinn and I need to use the bathroom." Even when they didn't get slushied, the term 'use the bathroom' was Quinn, Haley, Brittany and Santana's code for, 'let's talk, I have something we need to discuss.'

"Fine." Finn sighed, as he made his way to the boys restroom, bumping into some lockers as he navigated. Haley giggled softly at his clumsiness, before she pulled Quinn with her into the bathroom.

She sighed, as Quinn dunked her head under the tap, rinsing her hair of any excess slushie.
"Well, the glasses didn't really help increase your status." Haley commented.

"I know." Quinn groaned a little aggravated with what had gone down. "Still, here's my glasses, I'll let you borrow them. You can still uphold your reputation."

"Quinn, I." Haley began, as the blonde interjected.

"No, I won't take no for an answer, Hay. I need this, you need this. Wear them." Quinn insisted, as Haley sighed, putting them on.

"For you, I will." Haley nodded, as Quinn smiled.
-------
After Haley had finished helping Quinn, she made her way out of the bathroom. Wearing Quinn's sunglasses, she walked down the hallway holding her books. Suddenly, she gasped out of shock when a cold drink hit her face.

"Oh..." Karofsky jeered in her face, as she spat out the slushie in his face, while he mocked her.

"Have fun on your vacation in the arctic." Azimo cheered, as the football players left leaving her stuck in the middle of the hallway.

She could barely see anything as the sunglasses weren't much of a help. She jumped as she felt someone tap her on the shoulder.

"Hey." A boy's voice said, as she looked around, to be met by a jock.

"Who the hell are you?" Haley asked, still trying to wipe the slushie off her face.

"I'm one of the jocks, but I don't want to hurt you." The boy assured her, as he handed her his spare towel. I actually saw you get slushied, and figured you might need help. So, here I am." He shrugged, as she sighed.

"Thanks." Haley muttered, letting him pull her into the bathroom. He helped her get the pieces of slushie out of her hair, as she ran her head under the tap.

"Why do you want to help me?" She asked, after she could see him. He was on the football team, and he had brown hair and green eyes. Quite handsome if she was being honest.

"Hey, common sense." Her inner voice said. "What the heck are you thinking about? Snap out of it."

"Did you hear what I said? Are you okay?" The boy waved a hand in front of her face, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Hmm? Sorry, can you repeat that?" She asked, as he nodded.

"I saw you struggling, like I mentioned earlier. No one deserves slushies in the face, no matter where they are in the stupid food chain at McKinley."

"I know right?" Haley asked, as he smiled softly.

"Oh, I'm Austin Farston by the way." He extended his hand.

"Haley. Haley Aldrin" She smiled, shaking his hand.

"Well, Haley. Nice to meet you..." He shook his head approvingly.

"You too." Haley said, keeping it cool.

"Hey...I'm having a party in a few weeks. The jocks are hosting a party, and we're inviting some people, including the Cheerios." He explained. "I'd love it if you thought about coming."

"I actually might take you up on that offer, Farston" Haley chuckled, as he laughed.

"I have to get off to practice now, but, see you around." Austin said, as he headed out of the bathroom.

"See you." Haley nodded, before she turned to look at herself in the mirror. She sighed, pulling her hair back up into a ponytail, and changed into clean clothes, before she walked out of the bathroom.
-------
All of the remaining glee club members gathered in front of the clock waiting for the football players. Not too long after, Mr. Schue entered the choir room.

"Hey, guys." Mr. Schue greeted, as the clock struck three thirty, leaving everyone disappointed.

Mr. Schue sighed. "I guess they're not coming. I'm really sorry, guys."

Mercedes spoke up. "I can't believe this. I thought they were our friends. How can they just abandon us?"

Suddenly, Matt and Mike entered the room, causing everyone to clap and cheer. Haley chuckled as Brittany ran into Mike's arms.

":Hi. I'm glad you made it." Santana smiled.

"Hi." Mike greeted with a smile.

"You scared me." Mr. Schue exclaimed, as Puck came into the choir room.

Rachel laughed, making a run towards him. "Good to see you, huh? Are you... sure about this, Noah? I mean, choosing us over the team means you might get a Slushie in your face everyday."

Puck smiled down at her. "Bring it."

Mr. Schue frowned. "Where's Finn?"

At the mention of his name, Quinn sighed. The answer was obvious. Everyone knew that the tall kid had chosen football over Glee club. He really cared about his reputation. "A little too much." Haley thought, as she wrapped her arm around Quinn, hugging her.
------
Finn had decided to choose Glee Club over football after all. After what Kurt did for the team, and f a little convincing from Haley, well, more like a life lecture, he had made his decision.

"So, what do you think about my welcome back gift to the club, huh, guys?" Finn asked, as he carried in slushies.

"Thanks for the slushies, Finn." Mr. Schue acknowledged the boy.

"They're delicious." Rachel grinned, as Quinn and Haley glared at her, before covering their disapproval with fake smiles.

"And loaded with empty calories. You know why they call them slushies? Because your butt looks like one if you have too many of them." Kurt pointed out. 

Finn raised his slushie. " I'd like to propose a toast. To Mr. Schue. You were right about Glee Club and football bein' a killer combination."  Everyone toasted their slushie cups.

"Mr. Schue, I am sorry to report... that we've all been remiss about completing our assignment this week." Artie was first to apologize.

Mercedes spoke up next. "Yeah, none of us could find a good groove for "Bust a Move." All of them burst out laughing.

"And I personally feel like a failure." Artie admitted.

"Well, that's okay, guys. Because I feel like the lesson landed. And that's what's important. And we are glad to have you back, Finn." Mr. Schue said, as he looked at Quinn, who looked a little lost and forlorn. Haley sat beside her, comforting her. "You okay, Quinn?"

"Do I look okay? I'm devastated. Now that I'm off the Cheerios, I'll start everyday with a Slushie facial." Quinn complained.

"That's okay if that happens, Quinn, because there are 11 of your friends right here... who are gonna be more than happy to help clean you off." Mr. Schue assured her.

"Yeah. Whoo!" The group cheered.

"That's right, girl." Mercedes smiled.

"Mmm, brain freeze. I can't imagine gettin' hit in the kisser with one of these." Mr. Schue commented, as he stopped sipping his slushie.  All of the New Directions exchanged mischievous looks.

Artie began slowly wheeling up to him. "You've never been hit by a Slushie before, Mr. Schue?"

"Um...All right, guys." Mr. Schue said, trying to ignore the question.

"We're a team." Mr. Schue reminded them after a few moments. Bring it on. Gimme your best shot."

Rachel smiled, as he laughed.

"The victim is ready."

Rachel counted. "One, two, three." She yelled, as  the whole group threw each of theri slushies in his face. Immediately, he was covered from head to toe in slushie.

"Oh. All right. From the top." He said laughing, after he'd recovered from the cold and shock.