"I wouldn't even think of it."

Four years…

Since Alicia and her mother moved 5 hours away from that town that brought them both nothing but misery.

Three years…

Since Alicia gave birth to her beautiful daughter Eliza on the first of February at exactly 11:59pm. Maria was right by her side.  

Two years…

Since Alicia and Eliza moved out of Maria’s house. They now lived about 20 minutes away from Maria in their own 2 bedroom, one bathroom flat.

One year…

Since Eliza’s first word, ‘da da’. Alicia remembers it well. She was sitting down with Eliza in her lap. They were watching Dora the Explorer, an episode Alicia had seen multiple times but it was Eliza’s favourite and she can’t say no to Eliza. Just as Dora started singing the backpack song, Alicia placed Eliza on the couch before walking to the kitchen to start preparing dinner.

Alicia began slicing the vegetables for the stir fry I was making.

“Da da.” Alicia stopped slicing and slowly walked to the lounge where Eliza was.

“Did you just speak baby?” Alicia was now kneeling in front of her.

“Da da.” Eliza threw her hands up and down with a smile on her face. Alicia was too happy to worry about what word was said and she picked up Eliza, twirling the little baby around in her arms.

Eliza is now three and can walk and talk, making Alicia a very proud mother. It was Tuesday, that meant that it was their weekly grocery shopping trip. Tuesday’s was Eliza’s favourite day because if she was a good girl, her mum would let her get a lolly from the store.

Alicia picked up all the bags she needed, her phone and keys before closing and locking the front door. Eliza reached her hand up for her mother to take. Alicia looked down at the little girl and sighed at how much she resembled her father. The brown curly hair and electrifying green eyes were exact copies of Harry’s.

Alicia would never admit it out loud but she missed Harry. She missed the way he would just randomly walk up to her and grab her hand or waist. She missed the way his lips felt against hers and how careful he was with her.

But she’ll never admit it.

Eliza jumped into her booster seat and waited for Alicia to put her belt on. Once that was done and Alicia was in her seat, Eliza immediately began asking questions.

“Mum, have I been good enough for a lolly?” Eliza asked her mother. Alicia smiled from the driver’s seat and nodded.

“I think you have sweetie.”

Eliza clapped her little hands from the backseat, making Alicia chuckle. The car pulled up at a stoplight and Eliza started looking at the cars next to them. She liked doing this; it was something she did ever since she could see over the window.