Chapter 8: Package?

Jay

After Hailey leaves my truck I wait until she's inside before pulling out from the sidewalk and setting off in the direction of the 21st district.

Glancing down at the digital clock above the stereo I check the time. "6:34, Okay 10 minutes" I mutter to myself as I continue to drive down the surprisingly silent streets of Chicago. The sky is different shades of purple and it's still dark but the clouds have an illuminate glow suggesting the sun will be out soon.

Soon enough I'm surrounded by my thoughts cascading over me as I try and focus ahead. The first part of my plan is complete, setting a time to meet. But the hardest area I have yet to figure out, I have no clue how I will address the topic nor do I know how to tell her.

Hailey is one of, actually scratch that... the only person in my life that I feel fully confident opening up to, every cell in my body trusts her and it scares me. This could go wrong in so many ways but I think it's the right thing to do....

Every time I loose focus Hailey is there, she is the one who checks up on me and notices tiny changes in my behaviour. Luckily for me she has no idea that she is the reason for my loss of concentration. Whether it's her in my mind, or me thinking about previous conversations we have held or just her in general. I love everything about her and I think it's about time I admitted the truth, it's becoming way to often that I have had to lie in an attempt to cover up my growing feelings.

Pulling up in my usual spot at the back of the district, I make my way to the front entrance. As I enter the lovely cold-hearted voice I am so familiar with catches my attention, "Chuckles, get over here" Platt says with amusement. Dreading her next words I slowly trudge over to her front desk.

Despite her calling me over she seems focused on the paper work in front of her. I clear my throat, "You wanted me?" I ask nervously, she's difficult to read and you never know whether she is being sarcastic or serious. My bold gesture catches her attention, "Why are you here so early" her voice is a mixture between confusion and shock. Living up to the nickname she has gave me I begin to chuckle lightly before shaking my head, "Just enjoying the peace before Adam arrives".

Clearly not buying my lie she just stares at me, my laughter fades when I remember she's not a laughable person. Uncomfortably I stand still waiting for her to say something but instead she refuses to blink and it feels like she's staring deep into my soul.

Much to my liking she soon stops as a delivery man approaches us and waits patiently. "I need you to sign these forms from last week" she states, I nod in response as she finally moves her attention to the man beside me.

"Package for Detective Hailey Upton" he says blankly reading the name from a largish box, my focus has shifted hugely in an attempt to identify who or where it has been sent from but i fail miserably.

Platt snatches the box and thanks the man before hiding it behind her desk out of sight from me. What the hell? I raise an eyebrow at her and I see the guilt written all over her face but I decide better then to push. Instead I look back down at the paperwork in front of me and complete the last signature needed.

Platt looks at me with mischief before beginning to speak but is soon cut off as the doors for the district open behind me, I don't turn until her eyes widen and a bright smile fills her face. Who could be so important to make her smile like that— Rotating myself around my eyes connect with a familiar blonde and a big smirk floods my face once more.

Subconsciously we keep eye contact, it wasn't unusual for us to do this but when Platt spoke she turned the atmosphere into awkwardness. "Okay detectives, get a room". We immediately snap and narrow our eyes at her causing her to stifle a laugh and raise her hands in surrender.