Chapter 6: Nearing the truth

Jay

A feeling of reassurance and alleviation cloud over me. How pathetic did I have to be? I handled the situation like a sulking child, I didn't even bother to ask how Hailey and Zac knew each other but instead i made it personal. Mentally i kicked myself for being so immature but the broad smile covering my face was too strenuous to conceal.

Looking over the events from tonight continuously in my mind I came to a conclusion. At some point I'm going to have to open up to her, in spite of everything that I could be risking I can't live like this. I'm incapable of living a lie for much longer, I can't pretend everything is okay....

Hailey deserves the truth.... and when the right time approaches I will try and let it all out.

The only issue is deciding when that time will be, but hopefully I'll know and just maybe it will feel right.

Hailey drags my arm away from the edge of the pavement and as soon as her skin meets mine I feel at ease. She has a calming effect on me, whether it's her touch, her voice or even her presence. There's no one else I'd rather spend my time with and I'm glad she came after me.

Fixating my eyes on Hailey I comprehend how small she really is, but before I can think anymore she comes to a standstill. Turning around slowly i begin to loose myself once more in those icy pools full of meaning. Fighting every last urge in my body I escape my eyes from hers as I refocus on my truck behind her.

Humour begins to circulate me, "Your going to kill us both!" I beam playfully trying to stay in a serious role, but this only makes Hailey laugh more and I feel accomplished. Her smile really does take your mind off everything bad.

She runs to the drivers side and pouts "Come on Halstead, don't make me drag you along" , I give in as I stuff my fist in my jeans digging deep for my keys. Pulling them out I toss them gently over to her as she catches them with ease before smirking at me and sliding inside.

Not wasting any more time, I take a few long strides and climb into the passenger side with my stupid smile still plastered all over me. "What's got you so happy" I can here her smile as she speaks so I glance over at her before looking straight ahead once more. She laughs sweetly knowing I have no answer before turning on the engine and driving off.

"I've been so bored without you" I randomly blurt out, i didn't register what I was saying until the words simultaneously fell out of my mouth as I spoke them in my mind. My eyes widen in shock as I begin to worry but my thoughts soon cut short when I her gently speak to me. "Likewise Jay, it felt like I'd been gone a year" my chest tightened at her words and i suddenly felt weak. Adapting my stare to Hailey I turn slightly but her eyes are focused on the road ahead of us. "Make that 10" I said dead seriously but it only made her laugh more. She tried to fight the smile but it was irresistible making my heart swell at the sight right next to me.

Eventually our laughter died down and we fell into a comfortable silence. Wow it was good to have her back, and in arms length...

"Okay, we are here." Hailey informs me after five minutes pass. Quickly glancing around at our surroundings, i didn't notice that Hailey had jumped out until the sound of the door slamming startled me. Climbing out of the passenger side i walk over to where Hailey is, "What are you doing?" I ask confused as she types a number into her phone. "Calling a cab" she says stating the obvious with a smile. I glare at her in an attempt to make her shift her attention from her phone to me. However her eyes stay glued. Letting out a sigh I pull out my phone from my back pocket as I check the time.

Immediately I shake my head, this gets her attention as she tilts her head and raises her eyebrow at me. "Hailey its 11:50" I say strictly but it only makes her shrug and smile cutely once again. "Your staying with me" I don't bother asking instead I buzz myself into the building, I pinch the bridge of my nose when I hear no one following me inside.

"Hails, its late you can crash with me and I'll drive you home before work tomorrow morning" this causes her to let out a breathe in defeat before she nods slowly. I begin walking up the first flight of stairs and I can hear her almost silent footsteps approaching behind me as I come to a halt at my door.

Hailey has never been to my apartment, it was always less practical so we would hang out at her place. Plus she actually has a house, its cosy and has a warming feel to it, don't get me mistaken my flat is cosy but it's too small for my liking.

Finally unlocking the door, I turn off my alarm and flick on a few lights. That's when the mess appeared, I hurried around and tried my best to clear up but it was too late Hailey had already stepped inside.

I look up to see her frozen as her eyes land on the huge amounts of empty beer bottles and other alcoholic beverages I had consumed whilst she was gone. Pathetic, i know but it was the only way that numbed the thoughts of her when she was away.

"Jay.... what's going on?" I hear her voice, still soft and calming but I can hear the worry clear as day. I don't reply but instead collapse on the couch, she walks towards the kitchen and I hear her ruffling through various cupboards. That's odd... . I decide to sink into my seat and rub my eyes in frustration, when she reappears I see a black bag in her hand. Hailey gives me a reassuring smile before gathering all the rubbish and empty bottles that are lying around helplessly.

I can feel the tears start to prick my eyes but I refuse to let any out, instead I get up and decide to help as it's the least I can do.

After what feels like hours, my flat hasn't looked cleaner. We both decide to sit down and get comfortable on my couch once more before I grab the tv remote and turn it on. Fingers in front of my face snap me out of my trance that I didn't even realise I was in. Hailey is right next to me, her legs pressed against me in order to give me some comfort. "Jay, unless you have grown a sudden liking to Frozen and musicals then I'm guessing you were zoned out" She says trying to stifle a laugh. I twist my head and give her a small laugh before smiling when I see her staring back at me.

"Sorry, I think I'm tired and still in shock.... I wasn't expecting you back yet, but I'm really glad your home and safe" I don't look at her this time but the words I said replay in my head and I overthink them. "...I- In Chicago" I stutter slightly as the nerves overwhelm me.

"Jay Halstead, that's the first time I've heard you stutter around me!" Hailey says teasingly in an attempt to wind me up, but that won't work certainly not today. I shake my head as laughter pours out of me before jumping up and making my way into my closet. I grab a few blankets and pillows and make my way back to Hailey. I prop them down on my sofa before rushing into my bedroom, "I'll be five minutes!" I shout as I rush around and change the covers off my bed. If she's going to be sleeping in here, she's gonna want some clean sheets. Once it's spotless I walk back out to see Hailey making a bed out of the blankets for herself. Not happening darling....

"Nope!, don't you even think about it Hailey Anne Upton." She pauses when I use her middle name and sends me the death glare I know all to well. "You are sleeping in my bed, I changed the duvet it's all yours" I knew straight away that she would try and fight me on this but I wasn't backing down. "Jay, I'm not walking into your home and stealing your bed. I'll be comfy here" she states, trying to negotiate. I firmly shake my head causing her to sigh. "Hailey, your tired come on don't argue with me not tonight. You need your sleep" I smile softly at her knowing fair and square I've won this battle.

"Also, there's a spare t shirt, boxers and shorts on the bed. I didn't know which you'd prefer so their all in there" . Eventually she nods and makes her way into the bathroom, she reappears once she's finished getting ready for bed and she stops in the doorway to my room. "Thank you Jay", i hear her say so i bring my attention back towards her. " It's my pleasure, goodnight Hails" i reply with a soothing smile. "Goodnight Jay" and with that she walks into my room. I stand up and get ready for the night as I enter the bathroom, I come out a little while later and throw myself at the couch covered in fluffy pillows.

Without making a sound, I crawl under the blankets and fall into a deep sleep as my mind races back to Hailey. I think I have a plan....

A/N

Hey!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'm sorry for not updating last night but I had an assignment due in and therefore had no spare time.

Thank you for sticking around and reading!

Please leave a comment or vote if you want more... I'll be working on the next chapter later on today :)