ᵗʰⁱʳᵗʸ ᵗʷᵒ

11×23

When you first lose someone, it is hard to imagine that it will ever stop hurting or that you will ever survive it. It does not get better necessarily, it just gets....less. But it will hurt less. As irreparably broken, gutted, hollow as one may feel, it does not kill you. Which is actually almost cruel. While it may feel as though a dementor has sucked every last hint of happiness from your chest, you will have days where you think of them and you do not cry. There will even be days you smile while you remember them. Aurora knew that was what they would want for her, and how they would want to be remembered - with love and joy instead of pain and tears. And even though she hadn't succeeded, she was willing to try.

That night, after Aurora had calmed down, Jackson thought that it would be a good idea to drive to the seaside and just let the sound of the ocean smooth their souls. Jackson had gone to buy them some frozen yogurt, on Aurora's request. She was sitting at a bench, the view of the sea was bringing her some type of nostalgia, as she continued remembering Derek and his love for ferries.

"One frozen yogurt with extra peanuts and chocolate chips." Jackson snapped her out of her trail of thoughts as he sat down next to her.

Aurora smiled at him and took the small bowl from his hands. "Thank you" she mumbled. "What did you get?" She asked as this time she couldn't take staying silent any longer.

"Strawberry, with chocolate chips and caramel syrup." Jackson replied as he put the spoon in his mouth. "You want to try?" He asked when he swallowed.

"Why not?" She replied and Jackson grab a big bite of it with the spoon.

"Here. You want me to feed you?" He asked as Aurora opened the mouth slightly. He chuckled as she nodded a yes. "Did you like it?"

"Yeah, it was good." Aurora licked her lips as she felt the side of her lips dirty. "I like strawberry."

"I know. You didn't get it." Jackson said as she was still dirty at the corner of her lips. "Here" he whipped it out with a napkin he was holding.

"Thanks. I am such a messy eater." She laughed at herself as the frozen yogurt dripped on her shirt the moment she said the word messy. "Point proven."

"I'm glad you're feeling better." Jackson smiled as he heard her laugh.

"I'm sorry you had to witness that. And thank you for, you know, being there."

"I'll always be there, even if you don't want me to, I'll always be there. I promise you." He looked her deeply in the eyes, trying to prove to her that he was being honest about this promise.

Aurora placed her head on his shoulder with no further words. Because the only thing she kept thinking was that the last two people, who promised her that they would be there for her, were gone. And she was terrified that Jackson would leave her too at some point. One way or another. And the thought alone, made her feel a tightness in her chest.