Chapter Fifty-Seven

She woke when the RV stopped, looking out the tiny window to find the night still awake. She was confused, she thought they were heading right back to the border and it would be morning by the time they arrived. She leaned up from the bunk, listening to the quiet mumbling of the others heard through the walls.

"You seriously leaving me to do this myself?" It was Spike, sounding rather pissed, but that was normal'

"You're my second, you know what to do" Max responded. She leaned up, pressing her feet onto the cold linoleum floor. She peered out the windshield, noticing they were in they were in the parking lot of a hotel on a busy street in a city, she didn't know where they were.

"You're being reckless Max!" Spike ground out "Ever since she showed up! You've been nothing but reckless!"

"Don't blame it on her. It's my choice, not hers"

"Well! Your choice is fucking stupid!" Spike snapped, and that's when she heard the door of the RV yanked open, and Spike came storming up the small steps. He noticed her, looking up to see her standing by the granite table, confusion within her eyes. She hadn't realized they had been fighting so much about her, that he was actively changing things to accommodate her. She felt kind of bad about it, she never asked him to do that...

"Spike" she tried, but he waved his hand dismissively

"Just go" he responded, not angrily, but seeming more exhausted than anything. She nodded, dropping her head as she walked around him, and he did her. She stepped down the steps, opening the door of the RV to see Max, leaning against the side of the vehicle with a cigarette between his fingers, the smoke enveloping in small blooms that slowly rose to the emptiness above. He glanced at her, looking down at her shoeless feet as she stepped down. The concrete was cold, and it had a few random pebbles that were a bitch to step on.

"Put on some damn shoes!" he exclaimed "God knows what the fuck is on the ground! you could cut yourself!"

"I'm fine, Max" she responded, rolling her eyes. She wasn't China, although he seemed to think otherwise. He just sighed the smoke from his lungs, knowing he wasn't going to get her to do a damn thing, he never could.

"You and Spike, why are you fighting?"

"Did we wake you up?" he asked, suddenly concerned

"No, Maxwell" She leaned her shoulder against the side of the RV, crossing her arms, trying to maintain body warmth in the cool breeze. "Are you going to answer my question, now?" she inquired

"Well-" he cleared his throat, slipped the bud of the cigarette, and stepped on it, crushing away the remaining fire sparks. "You haven't been anywhere before" she raised an eyebrow, wondering what that had to do with any of this.

"How much do you know about me?"

"A lot" he retorted. She wondered if he used his resources, having someone dig up dirt on her for one reason or another. But, what worried her more, was the question, did he know that? "I'll show you the files if you want, I'll even get rid of them if you'd prefer"

"My childhood?"

"Bits and pieces, but drawing blanks on certain things" he responded candidly, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his jeans

"So, you know about the missing persons' reports"

"It was in the police file...yes" he nodded his head, She felt a lump in her throat, but not a real one, she knew that. It was her mind playing with her, and looking in his eye, she could tell. He doesn't know.

"I'd like to see those files"

"They're all yours, I'll give them to you the moment we get back home" Home...? Did she finally have a home? ....with him? She didn't want to ask, so she didn't. She let out a sigh, leaning her back against the cold metal of the RV siding, arms still crossed.