Chapter Forty-Seven

"Max, enough!" she turned from the counter, to watch just as Spike grabbed the bottle of tequila from Max's hands. Max was obviously intoxicated, and to her surprise, he was actually smiling. She had no idea that Max could actually smile! a real smile! She turned away, feeling the blood rush to her cheeks. His smile, it was handsome, with the pearly teeth and the dimples in his cheeks. She had to force herself to look away, or she may have given in and never looked away again.

Maxwell tried to reach for the bottle, laughing as if it was all some sort of keep-away game. But, Spike pulled it further away out of his grasp, bringing the bottle to his own lips and taking a good few gulps of the alcohol for himself. He grumbled, holding up the bottle as he moved past Harmony in the small kitchen, pushing open the door to the RV and slamming it shut behind him. She watched from the small window as he sat down on one of the plastic folding chairs, across the fire from Lanky Guy, still holding the neck of the tequila bottle in a tight fist, staring as the flames danced across the skin of his cheeks.

She sighed, placing the small greased cake pans on the counter, pouring the batter into each one, and placing them in the oven. She shut the door, making note of the time on the small display above the buttons on the microwave, so she could know how much time had passed and when to pull out the cakes. She backed up only a step, jumping slightly in surprise when she ran into something behind her that hadn't been there the moment before, or rather, who. She turned around, finding Maxwell now standing right in front of her, so close her bare toes were nearly touching the edges of his boots. She could smell the alcohol that lingered on his breath, and when he leaned in even closer, to the point the ends of their noses almost touched. She could feel her heart pounding in her throat, craning her neck up to meet his hazed eyes.

"You scared me" she spoke softly, looking away from him slightly. There was a feeling at that moment, something she would rather like to avoid. It wasn't lust, at least not for her. It was more of an uneasiness that lingered between her ears, he was so much bigger than her, and he was so close, it frightened her, just slightly. She thought it was a mistake, that he hadn't meant to get so close to her, and she took the next logical step, trying to move past him. But, that was put to a halt when she felt his hot hand grip her wrist, holding it tightly, not with pain, but certainly a pressure. She turned back, looking back at him, confusion in her eyes. What is he doing?

"Max-?" he suddenly moved forward, and with every step towards her, she took another step back. They were physical, they couldn't share the same space at the same time, and he would beat her out for it given the chance. If she had to be the one to move, that was fine. It only became a problem when she felt a sudden obstacle against her lower back. It was the counter, she couldn't back up anymore, it was a physical impossibility. 

Her heart sounded louder, angrier, because even though she couldn't move back anymore, he didn't stop moving forward until she was forced up against the edge behind her, even bending her back slightly just to put any sort of distance between them. But, it was hopeless, which became obvious when the back of her head hit the door to one of the upper cupboards. She felt his grip on her wrist loosen, and she took the chance to rip out of it, putting her hands on his chest in an effort to push him away from her, but he grabbed her waist instead, the hold tight and demanding, pressing all of himself against all of her. She gasped in surprise, eyes widened to realize they were touching everywhere.

"Maxwell" he didn't respond, pressing her tighter into the counter against her back, and the resulting press against him. He leaned up a hand from her waist, and it kind of shook in her peripheral, as he reached out towards her. She hadn't realized she stopped breathing until her sense fell back, feeling the itch of strangled lungs begging for another breath. He grabbed at the hair tie holding up her bun, and that was when she breathed out heavily between them, feeling the slight press of his fingertip trace the back of her earlobe. She felt it when her hair loosened, falling across her cheeks from its confines. She didn't quite understand what was happening, it was all moving too fast, and her mind felt empty, like every thought she had ever had was just...gone. She shivered when his hand came up to trace her cheek, pulling the hair over and tucking it gently behind her bright red ear, the feeling, it tickled. He leaned forward, just enough to press his lips against her ear, leaving a hot linger where he breathed