𝘰𝘯𝘦

Music blasted through Lia's headphone as she laid across her single bed, her blonde wavy hair spread in all directions. Knowing her father was downstairs, she kept her phone tucked under her pillow with only one earphone in — incase the devil decided to push her that day. Disrupting the stream of music through her ear, said phone began to buzz. Reluctantly, she dragged the phone out and read the name displayed on the screen.

Stiles.

"What do you want?" Aurelia sighed, pulling out her headphone and rolling onto her back with it pressed to the side of her head.

"Ahh, Lia. Friendly as always." The spastic boy replied, with an over exaggerated eye roll. "Get up. I'm driving to yours now."

"What? Why?" She whined. Sure, this happened regularly but never this late. Usually around eight Stiles would pick her and Scott up and they would grab smoothies or go down to his house and relax, but this was different. It was 11 o'clock and the night before the first day back at school. Stiles had his smart moments, this, however, was not one of them.

"They found a body in the woods," Stiles stated, causing the blonde girl to shoot up from where she was laid.

"Pardon?"

"You heard me. Get up. I'm down the street." After the last word, Stiles cut the call and Aurelia jumped from her place on the bed, pulled on her black leather jacket and quietly climbed out her window.

To say her father was strict was an understatement — he was an abusive, bitter man who found entertainment in terrifying his children. Aurelia's twin brother, Isaac, also had to endure the abuse from their only parent. Due to the fact that Aurelia had more friends than Issac, it was too risky for her to go to school with physical injuries so she was usually given the more damaging type of abuse — mental. Isaac however, could blame it on a typical teenage fistfight when he arrived at school with cuts and bruises littering his face. Isaac was tougher physically. Aurelia was tougher mentally. It was how they worked.

But of course, nobody knew this. Not school, not Scott. Not Stiles.

Nobody.

Cautiously, Scott stalked out onto the porch. Not being able to make anything out in the dark, McCall was on high alert. Not two minutes before, he had been getting ready for the first day at school when he heard something outside. Knowing it couldn't be something good, Scott wanted to check it out. Keeping the bat held high, he moved closer to the fencing, only to be scared half to death by Stiles dropping down from the roof in front of him. "STILES! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?"

"YOU WEREN'T ANSWERING YOUR PHONE! Why do you have a bat?" Stiles asked, his voice casually returning to its normal volume.

"I thought you were a predator!" Scott sighed, running his fingers through his freshly washed hair. "Where's Lia, your partner in crime?" As if on cue Aurelia flopped down beside Stiles, scaring Scott yet again.

"Stop doing that!" He screamed instinctively raising the bat again, panicking Stiles and Aurelia as they frantically shouted for him to put the bat down. Once he had, the two let out a sigh of relief and let their arms drop below them.

"Look, I know it's late, but you've got to hear this. I saw my dad leave twenty minutes ago, dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon department and even the state police."

"For what?" Scott asked with his eyebrows pulled together as the two rolled off the roof, disappearing from his line of sight.

"Two joggers found a body in the woods." Stiles grinned, popping up from the floor and leaning on the fencing.