Chapter 23

Nightmare's POV-

I gave a wide smile under my mask at my brother, excited to make both him and the foundation proud. I grabbed the list from the bathroom and looked it over with him. "First you have a public address, before we get our final answer from Tubbo I will address you as the leader of the greater Dream SMP in my absence. Then you will ask then if they pledge to follow you like they've followed me all these years." I nod, showing I understood before he continued.

"Next, you need to pick your 'cabinet'. Like how I have Sapnap and George. Then you need to meet with the other nations and concrete your place in our nation with them, to ensure a smooth passing of leadership as needed. Lastly, while I'm absent you'll have to work closer with the foundation as I do. Give reports, advise what should be done and talk about shipment dates for more of the 'chosen'" I nod solemnly. While someone like Punz could do all of his leadership roles, only me and Dream can do anything with the foundation. That's why I'm needed for this role.

"Let's get started on this list then, I can do the first 2 today and I need your help for the first one." He nods and hooks his arm around mine before we leave the house. He talks on his communicator, presumably to Sapnap and George as we walk. He finally hangs up and says, "They're gathering everyone at Eret's castle as we speak." I nod as we continue walking.

We make it to the castle and he tells me to wait outside the doorway. "As you guys know Tommy might get exiled tomorrow, and I'd go with him to keep him there. I wouldn't stay with him at all times, just every morning or afternoon. The time I'm not there has already been taken care of. But while I am gone I need someone here to handle my responsibilities, and I've already selected her." They looked around confused since they were all guys, but for a few of them it clicked.

He motioned for me to come out and I did, my armor clinking and my half cape sweeping behind me as I walked. I stood besides my brother and bowed, hand over my heart. "I'm going to be taking over my brother's responsibilities in his absences." I raise. "If you didn't know already I'm Nightmare, Dream's sister. I ask for your loyalty in my times of power, I will not force you to obey me like you do my brother. But I do have a job to do, with or without you." There was a moment of silence before Sapnap and George stepped forward.

"I pledge my loyalty with you Nightmare, in Dream's times of absence." They both said almost in sinc, while bowing. Slowly but surely the other followed, one after another like a wave. I smile and motion for them to rise. "Thank you. Now I need to pick my closest ally or allies, as Dream has George and Sapnap." I surveyed them for a moment, a strong sense of deja vu from 1 individual.

"Eret. I choose you and you alone. A small circle of trust is for the best, and I feel like I can trust you." Eret smiled before walking to my side. Dream stepped forward. "With that this meeting is adjourned. Nightmare, stay here with Eret to talk more about his new position." I nod and wave goodbye as everyone else took their leave. Once we were alone we sat in his throne room, him on the throne and I leaned against the wall. "I have a test of loyalty for you, if you choose to accept the challenge." He looked at me and nodded firmly, preparing himself I guess.

I take a deep breath before reaching my hands in my hood and undoing the straps of my mask. I pull one hand back and let it drop into my hand. I look at him and see him stiffen. "(Y/N)?!" I shook my head. "I don't know how or why but I'm Nightmare, Dream's sister and all that stuff. Yet I'm in (Y/N)'s body while she's trapped in my mind." He seemed to regain some of his composure. "So you're not a real person? Just implemented over (Y/N)'s consciousness." I shrugged. "I honestly don't know. I remember my whole life, I seem real. But everyone who's seen my face thinks I'm her. Because I can even feel it, this isn't my body. There's a barrier between being truly integrated and I think that's her."

"But, she's been showing me memories that she's gotten back, and I don't think I want her back. She's a truly bad person, no matter how much she's changed. So I could either continue on my mission to free her but I disappear in the process, or I could get rid of her and finally make this body fully mine." He thought for a minute before replying. "I don't know what you've seen, but she wasn't all bad. I remember her when we first found her, scared of the world and not even able to talk."

I shook my head. "Even if she was once like that, I've only seen things from the election and onwards. She worked solely for Schlatt and caused havoc within the other nations in an attempt to secure JSchlatt's place and Manberg." I replied. "But do you know why she did it?" He asked. I gave a sigh. "It was a good reason, securing her safety. I can't tell you from what, but I can tell you in the end that safety didn't work well." He gave a deep sigh. "Only time will tell who will inhabit the body permanently. If she isn't close to being freed then we mustn't worry. But feel free to talk to me whenever you need." I nodded, I definitely picked the right partner for this.

"If you feel comfortable with it, I have extra rooms in the castle. While you lead you could stay here and conduct your meetings here." I pondered the thought for a moment then nodded. "I accept. It will most likely start tomorrow so I'll retrieve my things tonight." He nodded and I grabbed my mask again and resecured it. We said our goodbyes before I started on my way back home.

This is my last normal day. From this point on I'll be riddled with responsibility and everything else will be different with Tommy gone. It's all part of our plan, but sometimes I wonder why we have to do what we do. I sigh, it does not matter, I'm pledged to the foundation and that means no questions, I must do what I'm told. But this plan makes me a bad person. Worse then (Y/N) so far.

I stop in my tracks as my eyes unfocus into the distance. No, this plan is what we have to do, I'm ensuring the foundation's success. In this way I'm being good as can be. I continue on my walk home but now it's more robotic and my legs feel like they've fallen asleep. But, it doesn't bother me. I walk into the house and see Dream waiting for me. He pulls me into a hug and rubs the back of my neck. "What we're doing is good, Nightmare." "What we're doing is good." I repeat unconsciously. "Don't you have some packing to do?" He asks. I numbly nod and make my way upstairs.

I head into my room to see empty boxes already on my bed. I quickly change into pajamas for the night, putting my former clothes on my dresser. I headed to the boxes to pack, not even noticing the mirror over my dresser as I passed. Not even noticing my eyes.

My pure white eyes.