❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ғᴏᴜʀ ❞

_______________

it's okay if you can't catch
your breath, you can take
the oxygen straight out of
my own chest...
_______________

Daniel kept his word. He did everything for (Y/N). He made her all her favorite meals, and fed them to her. He brought Cheeto, and let him and Shadow curl up beside her. He bought her gifts: candy, jewelry, and everything she could possibly want. Daniel was clearly making an effort.

But it didn't change the fact that (Y/N) wasn't happy.

She found herself fantasizing about the most normal things. Waking up to Eliza singing (off-key) in the shower. Going to the grocery store. Writing her book. Walking down the street and feeling the warmth of the sun on her face. Now, she wasn't allowed to open a window. Hell, she couldn't even get out of bed anymore. The handcuffs chaining her to the bed ensured that much.

(Y/N) laid under a warm blanket, with Daniel beside her. His arms were wrapped tightly around her, and she stared blankly at the clock on the wall, just watching the minutes pass.

She felt Daniel inhale deeply, as he pulled her closer. "I love you," he mumbled. She didn't reply, but he didn't seem to mind. He continued to hold her in his arms, his voice low and almost gentle, as he spoke. "I'm so happy to have you here with me... It's so perfect. You're all I need, and I'm all you need. So romantic, isn't it?"

"I actually don't see what's romantic about being held hostage," (Y/N) muttered.

Daniel continued, as if she said nothing. "You're so wonderful... I could lay here with you forever. Will you let me?"

"I don't really have a choice," she pointed out, moving her wrist around so that the handcuffs jingled.

"I love you," he whispered.

'For someone who claims to love me, you don't listen to me very well...' she thought, but she didn't really see the point in saying anything. It didn't matter. He wasn't really listening. And at the end of the day, she'd still be here, chained to the bed. Her friends were dead, and the only person she could talk to was the one who murdered them. And when she tried to leave, Daniel promised to kill even more people. It didn't matter what she said or did. It didn't matter.

Nothing did.

"I'll make you lunch," Daniel said, and reluctantly released (Y/N) from his grip. "How does soup sound?"

She didn't answer.

With a quiet sigh, he stood up, and left the bedroom, leaving her alone with her thoughts. Not that she had any new ones. She honestly felt like her head was spinning in circles. She often switched between being really emotional to feeling absolutely nothing. And the latter was growing increasingly common.

The mind could only take so much. Eventually, the adrenaline wears off, and your body just focuses on survival. But even that seemed meaningless.

(Y/N) felt almost like she was floating outside of her body. And she didn't know what to do about it.

Just as she was beginning to wonder when Daniel was going to return with her food, she heard a loud thud from downstairs, and then lots of yelling. From more than one person.

Someone else was in the house.

♡  ♡  ♡  ♡  ♡

Daniel heard the door come crashing down, and he rushed out of the kitchen, grabbing the gun he had previously left on the counter. For once, him procrastinating putting his belongings up paid off.

He entered the living room, gun already pointed at one of the police officers standing beside the door.

"Put the gun down!" one of the officers ordered.

Daniel shook his head, a menacing grin coming onto his face. "No can do, officer," he said. "Now, I'm only gonna ask nicely once: get out of my house."

"Sir, we have reason to believe you are holding a woman hostage here," the other officer said. "We have a search warrant." He turned to his partner. "Check upstairs."

As she began to walk towards the stairs, Daniel turned the gun away from the other officer, and shot her directly in the head.

It was then that the police officer shot his arm.

He dropped the gun, and as the officer quickly grabbed it, Daniel fell to the floor.

Within minutes, he saw (Y/N) being escorted out.

His whole world was falling apart.  Everything was crashing down. All his hard work, all his dedication, all his devotion to his darling... it was all being ruined by these pigs. And he could do nothing about it.

He felt tears run down his face. "(Y/N)!" he screamed. "Don't let them take you away from me! W-We need each other!"

She kept walking.

"I love you! I love you! I love you! Please! I love you! Don't - Don't leave me!"

But she did.

Daniel could only watch in complete and utter agony, as his angel... his sweet, perfect, angel... was taken away from him.

He felt handcuffs clink around his wrists, and the irony wasn't lost on him. But he couldn't focus on that. All he could think about was how he was losing (Y/N). He was losing (Y/N), and she didn't even seem to care. She seemed perfectly content to walk out those doors.

But it wasn't safe out there. She needed him to love her and protect her. She couldn't last without him. Without Daniel by her side, people like Alex would hurt her and take advantage of her.

'I'll get you back, my love,' he thought, as the police officer led him to the cop car. 'And then we can finally be happy together.'

♡  ♡  ♡  ♡  ♡

(Y/N) felt tears of her own fill her eyes, but not for anything near the same reason. At long last, she was stepping through the door, and out of that damned house. She could feel the warmth of the sun against her face, and it was even better than she remembered.

She was free. She was finally free.