❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ ❞

_____________

if you're sleeping, are you
dreaming, if you're dreaming,
are you dreaming of me?
______________

Daniel panicked as he noticed the reluctance in her eyes. He wanted to say yes. He thought for sure she would say yes. They were so happy together. They were the perfect couple. She loved him, and every part of him adored her. She had to say yes! She had to! So why did it look like she wanted to say no?

"Daniel..."

"What?" he said, unable to keep the intense emotion he was feeling out of his voice. "We love each other, don't we? Don't you want to take the next step?"

"Don't you think this is a little soon?" (Y/N) said, and normally her gentle tone would've made him feel happy and cared for, but now he just felt like a little kid being told what he did was wrong. But it wasn't. What was so wrong about this? What was so wrong about their love?

"No, I don't," Daniel answered.

"But we've only known each other for two months!"

"I love you, (Y/N). Like I have never loved anyone before. And I wanna spend all my time with you. When you know, you know, right?"

"I love you, too, but I'm just not ready for this."

"What's holding you back?" he asked, in an almost pleading voice. Was it Eliza? She was always taking up her time. Was it Cheeto? She could always bring him with her! Was it... Was it him? He could be better. He would be better. He would love her, and cherish her, and spend the rest of his life making sure she was as happy as possible. He'd do anything for her. Kill anyone who hurt her. Protect from the evils of this world and provide her with everything she could possibly want. There was nothing he wouldn't do for her... e̶x̶c̶e̶p̶t̶ l̶e̶t̶ h̶e̶r̶ g̶o̶.

(Y/N) thought about it for a moment, before she sighed. "Honestly?" she said. "The last boyfriend I lived with was Alex. And I know that you're not like him, but I'm just scared that... I don't even know. I'm just scared."

Daniel nodded slowly, and grabbed her hand, holding it as if it was delicate and fragile. "It's okay to be scared," he mumbled. "I totally get that. But the last thing I will ever do is hurt you. I promise."

(Y/N) nodded. "Is it okay if we wait a little while to move in together?" She asked, her voice almost timid.

And although every part of him was screaming that he wanted her to be close to him then, and forever... He nodded. "Of course we can, love," he told her, a loving smile on his face. "I'll wait for as long as necessary."

She seemed relieved, making these little doubts pop into his head. Would living with him really be so bad? Surely not. Unless... she was hiding something. He felt panic crawl up his throat, choking him, as he wondered, 'what if she's cheating on me...?' But she would never do that to him. She was perfect. She would never hurt him like that.

Still... he should keep an eye on her, just to make sure no one else made any unwanted advances. He could trust her, he was sure of it. But everyone else was a different story.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

(Y/N) let out a tired sigh, as she plopped herself down on the couch beside Eliza and Cho-Hee. Aside from all the emotion of Daniel asking her to move in with him, it had been a wonderful date. But it left her exhausted.

Cho-Hee smiled. "How was your date?"

"It was really good," (Y/N) answered. "We had a picnic in the park, and Daniel set up all these lights.  It was beautiful." She shifted slightly in her seat, turning to faxe the couple a little better. "...But it was kinda weird."

Eliza raised an eyebrow. "Weird how?"

"He asked me to move in with him," (Y/N) explained.

"Haven't you only been his girlfriend for a few weeks?" Cho-Hee chimed in.

(Y/N) nodded. "Yeah... and he seemed really upset when I said I didn't want to."

Eliza seemed really concerned now. "Did he get angry?"

"No," (Y/N) shook her head. "He just... He looked like he was about to cry. Sounded like it, too." She leaned her head against the back of the sofa. "I don't know... It's just weird to me. What do you guys think?"

"It's definitely weird." Cho-Hee said. "I mean, it's really soon. I knew Eliza was amazing immediately, but I didn't ask her to move in with me."

"Yeah..."

Eliza seemed strangely quiet through all this. Ordinarily, she was really chipper and talkative. But something was clearly bothering her.

(Y/N) frowned. "Eliza, you okay?"

"I have something I need to tell you guys..." she said, her voice nervous.

"What is it?" Cho-Hee asked, eyebrows furrowed with the same concern that (Y/N) felt very keenly at the moment.

"I... I've been getting these emails lately. It started out with blackmailing, but then it became outright threats." Eliza's hands trembled as she spoke, and Cho-Hee interlaced their fingers. That seemed to help calm her nerves. She continued. "They kept asking me about you, (Y/N). Where you were, what you were doing. It's constant. It's... terrifying."

(Y/N) felt dread fill her chest. Someone was obsessed with her. She didn't know what they wanted, but it looked like they were willing to hurt her friends.

"Do you know who it is?" She asked nervously.

"I don't know for sure, but..." Eliza seemed to hesitate. "...I think it's Daniel."

(Y/N) couldn't believe what she was hearing. "W-What...?"

"I know it sounds crazy, but I have my reasons," Eliza said. "There were so many times the emails asked me where you were, and he just so happened to be there, too. And the day after you told him about Alex, he shows up dead. And then he emailed me and asked how you were after, knowing it would affect you. If it isn't Daniel, it's someone really close to you, but I don't know who else that could be... I think it's him, (Y/N). I'm sorry."

"It does make sense..." Cho-Hee said quietly. "And it would kinda explain why he got so upset when you didn't want to move in with him. I mean, if he's the one who's obsessed with you, he'd want you with him all the time."

(Y/N) didn't know what to say. This was crazy. Daniel was such a good guy. He would never do something like this. She wanted it to be a joke. Some stupid, stupid prank. Or, better yet, just another nightmare that she could wake up from into her normal, happy life. A life where no one was threatening her friends, and she could trust her boyfriend without ever having to worry about it. But it wasn't a nightmare, and it couldn't be a joke. It was real. It was real.

"I think I'm gonna be sick..."

♡  ♡  ♡  ♡  ♡

Daniel cursed under his breath, as he listened to the conversation. This was a mess, one that would be hard to fix. Thank God for the wire tap he had planted on (Y/N)'s jacket, or else he would've had no idea.

He felt his chest tighten. (Y/N) wasn't gonna want to spend time with him anymore. He might never see her again, all because of that stupid brat Eliza. He wasn't sure he had ever hated anybody as much as he hated her right then. Not even his father... He absentmindedly traced one of the scars on his thigh that his dear old dad had given him. His father had been bad enough, while he was still alive, but this... this was worse. Eliza was trying to take away (Y/N), the light of his life, his only reason for living. But he wouldn't let her...

'You just made the biggest mistake of your life, bitch.' Daniel thought,  dark smirk coming onto his face. 'And now it's time to face the consequences.'