❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ ❞

_______________

we will cling to something
until it chokes us. and we will let it. and we will love it...
_______________

(Y/N) stood in a garden, full of the most beautiful flowers. She didn't recognize most of them, but their vibrant colors and unique patterns and designs took her breath away, leaving her in complete and utter awe. Everywhere she turned were more and more of the plants. Each and every one of them were perfect.

A familiar voice broke (Y/N) from her trance-like state. "I knew you'd love this."

Her jaw dropped, when she looked up and saw Eliza standing there. She looked completely healthy - in fact, her skin glowed like never before. Her curly, brown hair framed her beautiful face, and her smile was even more vibrant and beautiful than the flowers in the garden. She looked so happy and... alive.

"You - how can - but you're---"

Eliza's smile widened. "Dead?" she finished for her. "I know."

"Am I...?"

She shook her head. "No, you're not dead. Think of this as a sort of middle ground."

(Y/N) nodded slowly. This was certainly a lot to take in. "...Is it this beautiful where you are?" She asked.

"Yeah," Eliza nodded, looking around with a smile, before she returned her dark-eyed gaze to her friend. "But that's not why I'm here. (Y/N)... I know what's going on. And I need you to know that what happened wasn't your fault."

"But I---"

Eliza shook her head. "No, listen to me. There's nothing you could've done. This isn't your fault. But I need you to keep on fighting."

(Y/N) looked down, feeling ashamed. "I know... I just feel so empty. It's hard to feel like anything matters."

"I know." Eliza gave a smile full of compassion. "I know, it's hard. But your life matters. Please don't let Daniel ruin it. You deserve so nuch better than this. So, keep fighting for me, okay?"

(Y/N) nodded. "I will," she said. "I promise."

"Good," Eliza smiled. "And remember, you're not as alone as you think."

Before (Y/N) could question what that meant, her vision grew hazy, and the world around her slowly seemed to fade.

♡  ♡  ♡  ♡  ♡

She awoke in Daniel's bed, with his arms wrapped around her, as immovable and repressive as prison bars. Eliza's words echoed in her brain.

'...You deserve so much better than this. So, keep fighting for me, okay?'

It was so tempting to go back to that state of despondency. Her friends were dead; what did she have left to fight for? But she knew she had to do this. She couldn't live the rest of her life like this. She couldn't let Daniel win so easily.

So, she crept out of his grip, and was relieved when he didn't wake up. She got off the bed, and walked as quietly as she could towards the door of the bedroom. But one of the floorboard creaked loudly, and she heard Daniel groan, as he slowly woke up.

When his dark blue eyes fell upon her, he seemed confused.

(Y/N) knew this would likely be her only chance to get out, so she started running. She heard Daniel curse, but she didn't dare to turn around and look. She hopped down the stairs, and down the hall, towards the front door----

"I'll kill anyone you talk to," Daniel told her. He was several steps behind her, but his words were enough to stop her in her tracks, allowing him to catch up to her. He continued, "If you leave, I still won't give up. I'll keep killing everyone you talk to, until you come back to me."

(Y/N) didn't turn to face him, but she didn't move from her spot, either. She stood there, hand on the doorknob, frantically trying to think of a way out of this.

"I will stop at nothing to keep you with me, (Y/N)," he said. "That's how much I love you. And I know you love me, too."

She turned around, with a fiery glare, and saw that he was much closer to her now than she had thought. Definitely within arm's length. Still, she had to stay strong... for Eliza, for Cho-Hee, and for herself. "I could never love a murderer like you," she spat. "You... You've ruined my life. And I will never forgive you for that." In spite of her best efforts, her intense despair crept into her voice.

"What changed?" Daniel asked, watching her closely. When she didn't answer, he continued. "Yesterday you seemed so numb... and now you're trying to escape...? What changed?"

"I have to keep fighting, for the people you murdered," she answered, and twisted the doorknob.

But just as she opened the door, Daniel pulled her into his arms, and shut it back. She kicked and screamed to escape his increasingly tight grip, but he simply carried her back upstairs, to the bedroom.

"No!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, terrified that she'd be put back in the closet. She wasn't sure she'd be able to snap out of her despondent state, if she was locked in there again. "Please - Please, not the closet!" Tears flowed freely down her face.

"I'm not putting you in the closet," Daniel quietly assured her. He set her down on the bed, and, too scared to move, (Y/N) remained in the same spot, while Daniel dug something out of one of his drawers. Her heart stopped when she saw what it was, but it was too late to do anything about it. By the time she saw the handcuffs, he was already chaining her to the bed.

She froze, when he climbed into bed with her. This was all too familar to her, and when she looked over at Daniel, she saw Alex's face.

Silent tears streamed down her face, and when Alex - Daniel reached out to wipe them away, she whimpered. Being in this state made any sort of touch unbearable. She was so afraid, and so helpless. She was chained to the bed, so she couldn't do anything to prevent Alex - Daniel from doing whatever he wanted to her... just like before.

"I'm only doing this, because I love you."

"Pl-Please... d-don't hurt me again, A-A-Alex..." she cried.

A tear dripped down Alex's face, which confused her. Why was he crying? Last time, he seemed really happy about it...

"I will never hurt you like that, angel," he whispered. It didn't sound like Alex's voice, but it still looked like him. And Alex never promised something like that. He never even admitted what he'd done was hurtful to her.

When (Y/N) didn't answer, Alex pressed a gentle kiss against her forehead, and she knew it must've been the start. She braced herself... but he sat up, and got off the bed.

"I'll give you some time to adjust," he told her, and suddenly he didn't look so much like Alex. He looked like Daniel.

And as much as she hated it, she felt relieved.

_______________

hey guys! i just wanted to let
you know, for those who aren't
following me, that i have a new
book out!! it's called ᴀᴅᴏʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ.
the first three parts are up now,
so check it out!!
_______________