❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ ❞

_______________

i'll love you until my
breathing stops, i'll love you
'til you call the cops on me
_______________

(Y/N) stood at the stove, stirring around the scrambled eggs in the skillet. The eggs were just about to be done, when Eliza stepped inside the kitchen, rubbing her eyes sleepily. (Y/N) turned to face her, with a smile. "Hey, how ya feeling?"

"Better," Eliza answered, returning the smile.

(Y/N) nodded. "That's good," she said. "Hope you're hungry, because I made eggs." As she spoke, she turned off the stove, signalling that the meal was completed.

"That sounds amazing," Eliza replied, getting down a couple plates from the cabinet.

They got their plates ready, before they sat down at the kitchen counter and began eating.

"So," Eliza said, in between bites. "Cho-Hee said you hung out with Daniel yesterday." When (Y/N) nodded, she continued. "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah!" (Y/N) answered. "We went to the park, and there was this really cute puppy there, but it didn't look like it belonged to anybody, so Daniel took it home." She smiled softly as she spoke. "We went to the pet store to get him everything he needed."

"That's cool," Eliza said. "Did you name it?"

"We decided to name him Shadow."

"Aww," she cooed. "That's such a cute name!" She took another bite of the eggs. "This is really good, by the way."

"Thanks!" (Y/N) said.

"So, did anything else exciting happen?"

She hesitated, unsure of whether or not to tell her about Alex. As much as she preferred to keep things hidden, she knew it wasn't good for her. And Eliza had supported her every step of the way. So, she told the truth. "I, uh... I saw Alex yesterday."

"What?"

"We were on our way to Daniel's place, and I saw him walking down the street."

Her voice must've sounded shaky, because Eliza's dark eyes were filled with concern. "I'm so sorry..." she said. "Are you okay?"

(Y/N) nodded. "Yeah, Dan helped me a lot."

"That's good."

"Yeah... I just - I hate that he still makes me feel like this," she said, sniffling. "He makes me so terrified. And he isn't even bothered by it. He just gets to live a normal life... It isn't fair."

"I know, honey..." Eliza pulled her into a hug. "But someday... someday, he's gonna get what's coming to him."

(Y/N) nodded, holding onto her tightly.

"You are so strong," Eliza mumbled. "You're strong for surviving this long, and staying as kind as you are, even after everything that's happened. You're amazing, hun. I couldn't ask for a better best friend."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Thank you," (Y/N) mumbled. She couldn't believe how lucky she was to have a friend like her. "Thank you so much."

"Any time," Eliza whispered. After a moment, she slowly pulled away. "Now, let's finish these eggs before they get cold."

(Y/N) smiled softly, and nodded. They continued to eat their eggs, and after a while, Cho-Hee came in. Her hair was so messy, it looked like a bird's nest. It was enough to make (Y/N) laugh, and after that, she started feeling a lot better. Once the trio finished their breakfast, they migrated to the living room, and started looking through the channels on the TV.

Cho-Hee, who was in charge of the remote, stopped on the local news channel for a moment.

"C'mon, babe, it's too early for this," Eliza said, resting her head against her girlfriend's shoulder. "Let's watch something else!"

"No, hold on..." (Y/N) said, leaning forward slightly.

"Breaking news! Early this morning, reports say a little boy found another dead body, making this the sixth murder in the area in less than a month. Police have identified the body as Alex Barber, and are currently investigating to see who might have done this."

The three sat together in silence for a moment, trying to process what they just heard. After a moment, (Y/N) spoke, her voice small and hesitant sounding.

"Is it bad... that I'm relieved...?"

Cho-Hee shook her head. "No," she said. "I know exactly how you feel. He... He hurt you. Badly. And now he can't. It's normal to feel relieved."

Eliza stood up. "I'm gonna make some coffee..."

♡  ♡  ♡  ♡  ♡

Daniel felt a smirk come onto his face, as he watched the news. Killing that bastard had been one of his most proud moments. He deserved it, for hurting (Y/N) that way. She was meant to be loved and cherished. Treated with gentleness and adoration. But that asshole had done the opposite. And now he had paid the price.

He chuckled darkly, as he heard the news anchor say the police were investigating the murder. They would never figure out it was him. He had been far too careful. He had to be; he couldn't risk getting caught. If (Y/N) knew what he had done, she'd never look at him the same. She was too... fragile... for such matters. Which was exactly why he had to protect her. She needed him. Just like he needed her.

Daniel opened up his laptop, got onto his anonymous email. He began typing rapidly.

ʙᴀᴄᴋᴜᴘ.ᴏɴᴇ: ʜᴏᴡ's sʜᴇ ʜᴀɴᴅʟɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡs?

ᴇʟɪᴢᴀ.ʀᴇɴᴇᴇ.sᴀʏs.ʜᴇʏ: ʜᴏᴡ ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ?

ʙᴀᴄᴋᴜᴘ.ᴏɴᴇ: ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡs, ᴅᴜʜ. ɴᴏᴡ ᴀɴsᴡᴇʀ ᴍʏ ǫᴜᴇsᴛɪᴏɴ.

ᴇʟɪᴢᴀ.ʀᴇɴᴇᴇ.sᴀʏs.ʜᴇʏ: ᴡʜʏ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪ?

ʙᴀᴄᴋᴜᴘ.ᴏɴᴇ: ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪ'ʟʟ ʀᴜɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪғᴇ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ. ɴᴏᴛ ᴊᴜsᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴊᴏʙ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ. ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴍɪʟʏ, ʏᴏᴜʀ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅs, ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢɪʀʟғʀɪᴇɴᴅ. ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ. ɪ ᴄᴀɴ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴀʟʟ ɢᴏ ᴀᴡᴀʏ ᴜɴʟᴇss ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏ ᴀs ɪ sᴀʏ.

ᴇʟɪᴢᴀ.ʀᴇɴᴇᴇ.sᴀʏs.ʜᴇʏ: sʜᴇ's ʜᴀɴᴅʟɪɴɢ ɪᴛ ᴏᴋᴀʏ. sʜᴇ's sᴛɪʟʟ ɪɴ sʜᴏᴄᴋ, ʙᴜᴛ sʜᴇ sᴀɪᴅ sʜᴇ ғᴇᴇʟs ʀᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇᴅ.

Now that caught him off guard. He hadn't expected you to feel that way, or if you did, for you to talk about it. But it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

ʙᴀᴄᴋᴜᴘ.ᴏɴᴇ: ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ᴡʜᴀᴛ's sʜᴇ ᴅᴏɪɴɢ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ɴᴏᴡ?

ᴇʟɪᴢᴀ.ʀᴇɴᴇᴇ.sᴀʏs.ʜᴇʏ: sʜᴇ's ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜɪɴɢ sᴘᴏɴɢᴇʙᴏʙ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ɴᴏᴡ. ʜᴇʟᴘs ʜᴇʀ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ʜᴇʀ ᴍɪɴᴅ ᴏғғ ᴛʜɪɴɢs.

Daniel smiled fondly at that. 'Adorable,' he though. '(Y/N), you never fail to make me fall deeper for you.'