❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ ❞

_______________

i need you i like the air
i breathe, i need you more
than me, oh, i need you
more than anything...
______________

Eliza didn't want to believe it was true.

She liked Daniel. He was sweet, and funny. And he made (Y/N) so happy. The way she smiled when she talked about him, the way her eyes lit up every time she saw him... Daniel was the last one she wanted it to be. But she couldn't ignore the evidence that it was.

The day she pretended to be sick, she had been emailed asking where (Y/N) would be. And Daniel just happened to be at the same place. But that could've just been a coincidence.

And the day after (Y/N) and Daniel see her ex, he turns up dead. But again, maybe it was just a coincidence.

But when the mysterious ʙᴀᴄᴋᴜᴘ.ᴏɴᴇ knew about it, and wanted to know how (Y/N) was doing - which meant he knew it'd affect her - it was just too much to ignore.

She didn't want to believe it was Daniel. But she was almost certain that it was. And she had no idea what to do about it.

It was all she could think about for the few days that went by without her running into Daniel. She continued to get the emails - in fact, they came more and more frequently - but she didn't let on about her suspicions about their identity.

She hated this. She hated these emails. She hated being threatened constantly. She hated that she had to go along with it all. And she hated that it was probably her best friend's boyfriend who was doing all of this.

Eliza was broken from her thoughts, when (Y/N) spoke.

"Hey, I'm gonna go on a date with Daniel tonight," she said. "Do you want me to cook something before I leave?"

Eliza shook her head, and offered a smile that felt a little forced "No, we'll just order in."

"Are you feeling okay?" (Y/N) asked, frowning slightly. "You've seemed kinda off the past few days."

'So she has noticed...' Eliza thought, before she nodded. "Yeah, I'm good," she said. When her friend still seemed doubtful, she added, "I'm just kinda tired. Haven't been sleeping that great."

That seemed to make (Y/N) feel better. She nodded. "Do you want me to pick up some melatonin tomorrow?"

Eliza shook her head. "No, I've just been up late reading fanfics," she laughed.

(Y/N) playfully rolled her eyes. "Of course you are," she teased. "I should've known." She stretched, before she stood up from her spot next to her on the couch. "Alright, I'm gonna get ready for my date."

Eliza nodded. She almost told her not to go, almost told her about the emails and threats and all the reasons she was sure it was Daniel. But she couldn't. She wanted to. But if (Y/N) didn't believe her, and Daniel found out... she would've ruined her life for nothing. So she stayed quiet, and let it all fester and grow inside.

About twenty minutes later, a knock came at the door. (Y/N) was finishing up in her bedroom, so Eliza answered the door.

Daniel smiled when the door opened, and for a moment, Eliza wondered if she was wrong. How could someone smile like that at somebody they had spent weeks making their life miserable?

But there was something about the look in his eyes. Something dark and dangerous.

"She's still getting ready," Eliza said. "But you can chill in here until she's done."