❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx ❞

_______________

you're the closest to
heaven that i'll ever be...
_______________

(Y/N) took a bite from one of her (favorite cookie). She sat alone at a table, listening to music. She was honestly really enjoying herself. Some would find it hard to have a good time by themself, but (Y/N) wasn't one of those people. Sure, it was nice to be around people sometimes, but alone time was important, too. And with her music playing, and the delicious cookies she was eating, the whole experience felt complete.

Her (E/C) eyed gaze drifted from the window towards the door of the cafe, when she heard the telltale bell ring. And she was surprised to see Daniel walk through the door.

His dark blue eyes landed on her almost instantly, and he smiled.

(Y/N) gave a small wave. She wasn't sure if she should invite him over or not - she didn't want to intrude if he was hoping for some alone time - but she didn't have to think about it for much longer, before he came over to her table, and sat down across from her.

She paused her music, and removed her earbuds from her ears. "Hey, what are you doing here?" she asked, in a friendly tone.

"I was just walking through the neighborhood, when I decided I wanted some coffee," Daniel explained. "What about you?"

"I come here every Monday," she answered.

Daniel nodded. "Fair enough," he said. He looked around, his blue eyes scanning the area. "This is a nice place." He turned back to her, with a smile. "Are those cookies good?"

(Y/N) nodded happily. "They're probably the best I've ever had!"

"Yeah?"

"Definitely."

Daniel reached over, and tore off a piece from one of the cookies. He plopped it in his mouth.

"Hey!" (Y/N) said, playfully glaring at him. "That was mine!"

"But sharing is caring!"

She shook her head in amusement. Daniel always found ways to make her smile. They had known each other for about three weeks now, but she was already attached - more so than she had expected. After hearing so many dating horror stories, as well as that experience with her ex, she anticipated awkwardness at best, and winding up dead in a ditch somewhere at worst. But their interactions continued to be pleasant, and refreshing, and just... nice. Really, really nice.

"Besides," Daniel continued. "It was a small piece."

"Okay, okay, whatever," (Y/N) rolled her eyes, but she couldn't keep the smile off her face. "What'd you think?"

Daniel nodded. "It was really good!" he answered. "It was really soft and chewy, and it had a great flavor." He smiled. "Still doesn't beat my mom's, though."

(Y/N) perked up at the mention of his mom. She had never heard him mention her before, and she was curious about her. "Was she really good at baking?"

Daniel nodded. "Yeah, she was always trying out new recipes, and stuff. Y'know, she wanted to open her own bakery, but..."

"But...?" her curiosity had only grown the more he spoke about his mom.

Daniel seemed hesitant to answer, but after a moment, he nodded to himself. "She, um... She was an addict. Heroin, mostly. So, she could never get a liscense to open her own bakery. Which honestly just made her more reliant on the drugs, y'know? She just felt like it was all she had."