❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ ❞

________________

i think about you all
the time, but i don't
need the same...
_______________

The sound of (Y/N)'s giggles filled Daniel's ears, making him smile. There was nothing like the sound of her laughter. Nothing in the whole world that compared. He gave a gentle push on her back, allowing her to move forward on the swings. She moved, back and forth, back and forth, swinging through the air.

"Oh, wait! Stop! Stop!" (Y/N)'s excited voice broke him from his trance-like state.

"What is it?" Daniel asked, gently bringing the swing to a stop.

As soon as he did, she leaped up from her swing, and turned to him with an eager expression. "There's a puppy over there!" Without another word of explanation, she ran off.

Daniel hurried after her. "It could be someone else's - or it could have diseases - (Y/N), please---- oh."

There, on the ground, was perhaps the cutest puppy he had ever seen. It was very small - and skinny; it probably hadn't been fed lately. Still, it maintained a certain charm, with soft looking black fur, and big, brown eyes.

(Y/N) knelt down beside the puppy, who immediately stepped closer, its long, black tail wagging. "Aww... you're so sweet, aren't ya?" she cooed, and slowly stroked the puppy's head. She looked up at Daniel, her eyes seeming as big as the puppy's. "What should we name it?"

Daniel couldn't help but smile, as he looked down at the puppy snuggled up against her. Something about seeing the way her (E/C) eyes lit up, as she interacted with the puppy made his heart feel warm in his chest. She looked so happy... But he knew he had to be realistic. "It could be someone else's," he pointed out.

"Yeah, but look at how skinny he is," she replied. "If it does belong to someone, they're not taking care of it."

"Yeah, but..." Daniel couldn't think of any reason not to name it. Especially when (Y/N) was looking at him like that. "...He looks like a Shadow to me."

"Shadow?" (Y/N) repeated, looking down at the puppy with a smile. She nodded. "It's perfect."

He loved seeing her so happy, so in her element. Something about this puppy just highlighted how kind and wonderful she was. She was so nurturing... He wanted her to act that way with him. He had never gotten to be truly cared for. And now, he only wanted it from (Y/N).

'If this puppy brings out her caring side...' he thought. 'Then I should keep it around...'

"Do you think you can keep it at your place?" He asked.

(Y/N) shook her head sadly. "No, I can't," she answered. "Cheeto's terrified of dogs. I don't think she'd ever get used to him being around."

"Then I'll keep him."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Daniel said. "Why not? I've always wanted a dog."

A wide smile came onto (Y/N)'s face, as she glanced down at the puppy. "You hear that, Shadow?" she cooed, scratching behind his ear. "You're gonna go home with Danny."

"You've never called me that before," he pointed out.

"Yeah, but that's what Shadow calls you."

Daniel smiled at her logic. "Fair enough," he said. He knelt down beside her, and slowly stroked Shadow's black fur. The puppy melted into his touch, his tail wagging.