Chapter 9 | Gryffindor vs Slytherin

Quidditch season had just started. The four friends were all sitting down at the Gryffindor table eating breakfast while Harry nervously twirled his food on his fork.

     "You need to eat, Harry." Ally said pouring him a glass of pumpkin juice.

     "Take a bit of toast, mate, go on," Ron said holding a platter of toast towards Harry, who just ignored it looking nauseous.

     "Ron's right, Harry." Hermione said, "You're going to need your strength today."

     Neither of them saw Professor Snape standing behind them, "I'm not hungry." Harry replied.

     "Good luck, today, Potter." Professor Snape said causing the four friends to jump in fright, "Then again, now that you have proven yourself against a troll, a little game of Quidditch should be easy work for you," he sneered, "...Even if it's against Slytherin." And without waiting for a response he limped away.

     "That explains the blood," Harry said watching the limping Snape leave.

     "Blood?" Hermione and Ally asked in unison.

     "Listen, last night, I'm guessing Snape let the troll in as a diversion so he could try and get past that three-headed-dog," Harry said in a whisper, "But, he got himself bitten, that's why he's limping."

     "But, why would anyone want to go near that dog?" Ron asked sounding miffed by this.

     "The day we were at Gringotts, Hagrid took something out of the vault that was in the Prophet," Ally said knowing exactly what her brother was thinking, "He said it was Hogwarts' business, very secret..." she trailed of trying to think what could've been in that grubby little packet.

     "So you're saying..." Hermione trailed off looking stunned.

     "That's what the dog's guarding, that's what Snape wants..."

     Their contemplation got interrupted by a screeching of an owl, Harry's white Owl – Hedwig – flying over clutching a large parcel in her claws, she dropped it and flew away.

     "Bit early for mail, isn't it?" Hermione asked looking over at the other students.

     "But I-I never get mail," Harry said sounding confused at the sudden appearance of the parcel.

     "Let's open it!" Ron said sounding excited.

     The four friends all pitched in unwrapping the package to see what was inside and they found out...

     "It's a broomstick!" Harry said excitedly looking at the sleek broom in the wrapping.

     "That's not just any broomstick, Harry!" Ron said excitedly caressing the handle of the broom, "It's a Nimbus 2000!" he exclaimed.

     "But who..." Harry started to ask but the screeching of Hedwig drew their attention towards the staff table where Professor McGonagall was stroking her, she smiled at them and gave a curt nod and Harry's smile widened in excitement.

-----

     As Harry left the changing room he started feeling nervous again, not eating was not very helpful because he still felt like retching.

     Oliver Wood was leading the team into the Quidditch tower towards the starting gate, "Scared, Harry?" He asked frowning down at Harry.