SENSE OF HUMOR

"You should just give her a chance."

Malia groaned in frustration, "She's trying to kill us! Get that through your head."

"It's not really her," Lydia argued, "The dark spirit is possessing her."

"It also said that it was partially Maia's motivations."

"No, it's twisting her words. Just like it did with Stiles."

They trudged through the woods, trying to get away from the campsite of dead bodies that they found. As they walked, Lydia tried to convince Malia of Maia's innocent nature in her situation.

"Stiles never would've hurt Allison," Lydia mentioned, using her best friend as an example, "But the nogitsune got her killed. So just because it's using her body doesn't mean that it's actually her."

"That's precisely my point, Lydia! It's her body! The body that has sharp claws and fangs and way too much strength," she stated, "Whether or not it's actually her, she's still gonna get us seriously hurt or killed."

Lydia huffed and strode closer to her. But as soon as she was almost a foot away from the girl, the ground fell from beneath them.

They both screamed as they fell but they hit the ground shortly. They were covered in dirt from the hidden trap, having fallen into a dug out hole.

They pulled themselves up and looked to see how far they'd fallen. Lydia alone couldn't reach the edge even if she jumped.

Malia instantly felt weaker. She leaned against the earthen wall and watched her vision go blurry for a moment.

"What's wrong?" Lydia asked, noticing the change in behavior.

Malia shook away the blurriness, "I just feel..."

"Sick?"

She nodded her head and looked up to the strawberry blonde girl.

Lydia ran her hand over the dirt walls around them. When she pulled away, a powdery substance coated her palm.

"Mountain ash and wolfsbane."

Malia frowned in worry. She tried to crawl out but she was fighting against an invisible barrier.

She huffed and slid down to the ground, leaning her back against the dirt. She looked up to glare at Lydia,

"Still think she's not trying to hurt us?"

-

Scott and Liam jogged up the short steps of the McCall's house. Once they reached the door, Melissa instantly came to the locked window and spoke to them through the glass.

"Mom, are you okay?" Scott asked worriedly.

She nodded her head. She pulled out a metal baseball bat from behind her, showing it to them.

"I'm just praying that I don't have to use this."

As she cracked the joke, she smiled in reassurance. The boys awkwardly smiled back and pushed away their obvious concern.

They nodded to each other before going around the house to check every lock. Every door and window was sealed shut. Even the threshold was lined with a little mountain ash for extra precaution.

They came back around to the front of the house to speak to Melissa.

"Argent will be here soon to help disable the security," Scott stated.